Peel Tower & Holcombe Moor

They still do it. My Ramsbottom correspondent tells me that a lot of the pubs stay closed nowadays due the "outsiders" and local douche bags causing trouble.
Was about a 1000 people inside and around hare and hounds a few years back! They made a fortune but a lot of hassle and damage to the pub saw it shut. A shame it got out of hand. In my late teens and twenties was always a good day out, subject to weather which could be snow or t shirt weather and anything in between.

Been a couple of years since I went but it tends to be a reasonable track.
Just have your boots and gaiters and you’ll be fine!
Lovely walk starts up by the hare n hounds through redisher woods and then you can peel off right up the hill. Nice country pub The shoulder of mutton at the bottom for a pint, dog friendly too as is hare n hounds. Post lockdown obviously.

Last edited:
Lovely walk starts up by the hare n hounds through redisher woods and then you can peel off right up the hill. Nice country pub The shoulder of mutton at the bottom for a pint, dog friendly too as is hare n hounds. Post lockdown obviously.
Recently I’ve been walking it from a couple of miles north of Rawtenstall.
Follow the Rossendale Way to Grane Road, across and then up the back of Hasligden Grane with a fantastic bowl up towards the military practice field. Then the long walk towards the tower.
Return via the Irwell path.
About a 25 mile round trip!

Follow the Rossendale Way to Grane Road, across and then up the back of Hasligden Grane with a fantastic bowl up towards the military practice field. Then the long walk towards the tower.
Will have to work up to that! Think it's about 6 miles. I'm going with my son, for the first time in ages, so I don't want to put him off!

Once went up Holcombe Tower on Good Friday then went in the Hare and Hounds to watch City win away at Spurs. Blues in the pub were singing and celebrating. A very pleasant day.

I did something similar on mountain bike some years ago. Yes a long way!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.