Pele - was he that good? And why ?

Same here.
When you see that shirt you know who it belongs to.
Very few shirts are as popular, even to this day, when you consider he was starring in a world cup 63 years ago.
That dummy against Uruguay, the lay up for Carlos Alberto, the Banks save, the shot from the half way line.
All great footballing moments played at World cups, the highest level.
The one where he just casually lays it off and strolls like it’s a summers day in the local park ?

I Imagine it is, for me, that just added to the beauty of it, such an iconic goal.

Pele has always been the greatest for me. Why?

Because he was the top man when I first became interested in football. Heroes in your formative years always remain heroes.

Because he starred in a team committed to beautiful football before we’d heard of Cruyff or Pep.

Because he was a gentleman. Not a cheating coke-head, nor a preening narcissist, nor a farmer-looking money chaser. At least not as far as I know.

Pele,Cruyff and Beckenbauer until Maradona came along.
The above 3 played in great teams and were brilliant players.
Maradona brilliant but dragged 2 average teams to World Cup finals.
That 86 performance was amazing.The best by any individual I have seen.
So now it is Maradona followed by the other 3.

I have never understood the love in with Zidane. Sure he looked great for France at times but at club level he was very inconsistant. Didn't assist or score much.

Maradona the best player of all time. He proved it in 86. Never seen a player who was as unplayable.
I know this is an old and sorry annoying saying but I think it's true "you have to have played the game to a decent level" to understand Zidane and what he did. Stats don't even come into it.

The 1970 World cup he was brilliant the whole tournament.
So good as a 10 year old I got his Puma Pele football boots.
That team was the best international side ever in my lifetime.
Pele was the greatest until Diego came on the scene.
Agree with all that except I think it would be a great debate Brazil 1970 v Brazil 1982. The fact they won the cup in 1970 gives them the advantage but Brazil 1982 were something else IMO.

You can judge a player by watching them on TV, but to really appreciate how good a player is, how they run, turn, track back, lose their markers, sprint, balance, etc you have to watch them live. I've seen Pele play live for Santos when they played a friendly against Sheffield Wednesday. I'm sure it was in 1972, which would make Pele around 32 then. I've also been lucky enough to have watched lots of other great players live, such as Cruyff, Maradona, Messi and many others. Whilst each were different, in different era's, the best for me was Pele.

Without wishing to derail the thread, I've also watched every City player live since the mid 1960's to present day. The best for me was Colin Bell. Obviously I'm a FOC now but I still appreciate a great player when I watch them live. Only a few years ago I watched a young lad around 6 or 7 years old playing live for a boys team called Reddish Vulcans. Keep an eye on him because he has potential. His name is Phil Foden.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.