Penalty Take Scenario Question

Suppose the boring answer is it’s subjective and entirely up to the referee’s interpretation.

But it sounds to me more like they thought he’d completed the run up, rather than he actually had completed it. So if there was no pause between the final step and striking the ball, it’s fine and the fact the final step was past the ball was just a distracting irrelevance.
I think part of it was that the final step was well past and partly in front of the ball, meaning the ball couldn’t actually be struck straight forward (as the taker’s leading foot would block the ball), and being able to step in front of the ball gave the attacker unfair advantage.

I am genuinely curious if a PL referee would allow that sort of penalty (should a PL player be bold enough to try it).

I think part of it was that the final step was well past and partly in front of the ball, meaning the ball couldn’t actually be struck straight forward (as the taker’s leading foot would block the ball), and being able to step in front of the ball gave the attacker unfair advantage.

I am genuinely curious if a PL referee would allow that sort of penalty (should a PL player be bold enough to try it).

I’d like to see one try, just out of curiosity. It sounds almost impossible to pull off without either tripping yourself up or kicking the ball against your other foot. Which would of course be an offence.

I’d like to see one try, just out of curiosity. It sounds almost impossible to pull off without either tripping yourself up or kicking the ball against your other foot. Which would of course be an offence.
I have done it before, but only after training when all of us were fucking about, taking them against a mate who was the backup keeper.

I would honestly never even think of doing it in match.

Then again, I never did anything cheeky. I took seven in my youth career, all in shootouts, and just blasted them as hard as I could as close to the top corner as I could. I was DM and never close to being the designated penalty taker.

Scored all but one, when I slipped on the spot as I went to kick and sent the ball wide.

I have done it before, but only after training when all of us were fucking about, taking them against a mate who was the backup keeper.

I would honestly never even think of doing it in match.

Then again, I never did anything cheeky. I took seven in my youth career, all in shootouts, and just blasted them as hard as I could as close to the top corner as I could. I was DM and never close to being the designated penalty taker.

Scored all but one, when I slipped on the spot as I went to kick and sent the ball wide.

I think too many players try to be far too clever these days with penalties.

Funnily enough I’ve just listened to Brad Friedel on the radio. Talking about, amongst other things, facing penalties.

He said the most annoying taker he ever faced was Ruud van Nistelrooy. Because he telegraphed every single one and he always knew exactly where they were going. His problem was he hit them so hard and so accurately, he could rarely get near them.

That’s mirrors what I’ve always thought. Forget the clever stuff and stuttering run ups. If they’re hit with power and just inside the post, you could literally tell the ‘keeper where you’re putting them and they wouldn’t have time to get across and down in time.

Funnily enough I’ve just listened to Brad Friedel on the radio. Talking about, amongst other things, facing penalties.

He said the most annoying taker he ever faced was Ruud van Nistelrooy. Because he telegraphed every single one and he always knew exactly where they were going. His problem was he hit them so hard and so accurately, he could rarely get near them.

That’s mirrors what I’ve always thought. Forget the clever stuff and stuttering run ups. If they’re hit with power and just inside the post, you could literally tell the ‘keeper where you’re putting them and they wouldn’t have time to get across and down in time.
I couldn't agree with you more. I used to play an enormous amount of football as a striker and scored average 40 goals a season at a low level until about 18 until injuries took over, but I never missed a penalty. I always used to hit it so hard in the same place every time to point perfection. In training we used to run a drill where we would move the penalty spot further back but would still hit it so hard into the same position, and I never missed. The most difficult part is holding your nerve in games and just doing what you know. 20+ years on, I still know exactly where that ball is going when I take a penalty. Apologies, this has digressed from the original post.

I couldn't agree with you more. I used to play an enormous amount of football as a striker and scored average 40 goals a season at a low level until about 18 until injuries took over, but I never missed a penalty. I always used to hit it so hard in the same place every time to point perfection. In training we used to run a drill where we would move the penalty spot further back but would still hit it so hard into the same position, and I never missed. The most difficult part is holding your nerve in games and just doing what you know. 20+ years on, I still know exactly where that ball is going when I take a penalty. Apologies, this has digressed from the original post.
Same for me. I took the Rodri rocket route. Only missed one do to slipping on the spot as I kicked and sending it wide.

It’s become even more a matter of sheer human reaction speed deficit as the rules governing penalties have changed to further disadvantage the keeper (who has always been a distinct disadvantage).

It one the factors contributing to conversion rates increasing, along with penalty coaches substantially improving player’s ability to convert penalties (both by statistical analysis of penalty taking generally and of opposition keepers).

Every PL player should be able to convert a penalty nearly 8 out of 10 attempts, and “good” penalty takers should do it 9 out of 10 times.

The approach the player in my OP took is simply unnecessary and just serves to make a very high probability chance less probable.

When will Ederson take one in a match - and what would happen?

When a penalty shoot out goes to the 11 taker I imagine.

And I’ve learnt over the years that it is a totally fruitless exercise trying to guess what sort of a penalty taker a player is likely to be going off their general play.

Shearer used to tell the keeper where he was putting them, after training when he was practicing them. If you tell the keeper where it's going and he still can't save it, then it must give you enormous confidence for when the real thing comes around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.