Pep's contract situation

He was a bit hamstrung this season which probably was the fault of other and perhaps would have done better by adapting his system to suit who we had, deeper back line etc.

In the cold light of day after for me being for once a bit of a moaner at times I can't wait for the first friendly and it all to start again.

5/6 years plus of Pep will probably be awesome.

I hope he signs.

He has planted the seed - Removed the old guard, the dead wood, individuals who were not good enough.

It's a long term project and he needs to see this through with the backing from the club
and most importantly win over the fans.

By not wining any silverware this year and I think has now put more pressure on him for next season to win something.

The media loved it when he arrived and that same media have gone to town with him by referring to it as a huge failure this season.

I disagree! I've said from day one we wouldn't win the league with this current squad and he is now started to put his mould on it and we can see it.

Next season, this is when I can start to fully judge him.

This guy hopefully will transform us into a bloody great team and win lots of trophies.
I've always said that even next season isn't bound to be a total success depending on how the new players gel and adapt to how Pep wants them to play. It's the season after that I would expect the fruits of the rebuild to become evident.

By this comment I take it that you're against a contract extension for Pep.

Fair play if so.

But me - I like attacking football - lots of goals - pretty passing - winning possession quickly after a turn-over - Barca under Pep was awesome.

And so - I really hope Pep decides to stick with us. Our management/ownership for once is totally behind our manager - and our manager is (IMO) the best manager in world football. And even if you don't believe this - he at least is extremely good - and his style is very fun to watch.

It strikes me that Pep enjoys challenges. After awhile, Barca was so dominant, and the pressure so great, that football just wasn't fun.

At Bayern, he took over a team that just did the treble - although he (perhaps arguably) improved them, he was unable to win the CL - and maybe with all those quality players - he just felt that the job wasn't challenging enough.

But at City - with far less pressure - and an aging team in need of a huge overhaul - here's a huge challenge. And one that may take more than 3 years to come to complete fruition.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic - but I hope that Pep decides to stick with us for the next 5 years at least.

His argument for the three years was always that he recognized at Barcelona that the players aren't open to his thoughts anymore in the fourth year - and that doing this fourth year was his biggest mistake at Barcelona...

At Bayern to lead that team from one to the other generation would have been challenging, too. Schweinsteiger gone, Lahm and Alonso finish, Robben and Ribery in their last season... - including a big new youth academy that opens that was build and will open this summer.

Yes, City is probably more challenging - no doubt. But a lot will depend on how the next two years will run.

What makes a better manager, Someone that comes in and makes the best of what is available and builds from there or someone that's needs a team to play and be the way they want to succeed with a total rebuild?
I've seen some mind blowing football this season and some very poor decisions on and off the pitch. The future is exciting though!

Last edited:
He was a bit hamstrung this season which probably was the fault of other and perhaps would have done better by adapting his system to suit who we had, deeper back line etc.

In the cold light of day after for me being for once a bit of a moaner at times I can't wait for the first friendly and it all to start again.

5/6 years plus of Pep will probably be awesome.

Coming into this season he will have more of the lads he needs to go. Remember at Barca he took over a very similar squad to what we will look like come the end of summer. Ronaldihno was pissing around and on mega bucks. Yaya is trying but you could say he is a year away from going, Jesus is our Messi, young, shown what he can do etc.

It may just be me but i see similarities in many ways. Consider the uncountable dynamics of a squad and club; i don't think i am a loon for saying he has a similar starting point as with Barca. He was the Barca youth couch so knew the young lads he wanted inside and out. With us he knows the lads he needs but may know them well from other academies or clubs due to not having such a well rooted start...that he could easily have fucked up had he been shit.

He has a better feel for the club now and i would not be shocked if he changed the kids training to suit what he wants.

I think the bad publicity we get and the raw deal with refereeing will see him staying long enough to push the words back down their throats.

City's completely different to those two clubs and so he might have a completely different attitude to his future. We don't have a lot of experienced football people behind the scenes like Bayern do in Beckenbauer, Rummenigge, Hoeness and so on. Guardiola doesn't have to deal with similar influence at City. At Barcelona, there's a different sort of interference in the form of the supporters of potential new Presidents and the regular elections. Again City have a totally different structure. We don't see the owner, the Chairman's a flying visitor, Soriano's got the personality of a cold rice pudding and Txiki's invisible. Nothing wrong in that per se. We're almost a diet version of the traditional football club. A sort of FC Lite. In truth, we need a more powerful figure on the football side than we've had before because we feel a bit hollow. Managers have never been fully backed except in the financial sense. The club lacks personality at the moment and at City only the first team manager can supply that. That's why Mancini was so popular with fans. I see this scenario as an attraction for a manager who thinks he can achieve big things.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.