Pep's contract situation

You're spot on - the notion that we improved after it was announced Pellegrino was to be replaced by Pep in the close season is simply bollocks. It was Pellers himself who revealed Pep's impending arrival in a press conference on 1 February 2016. At that point, we had 44 points from 23 games, three behind leaders Leicester (and with a better goal difference).

We then took 22 points from the last 15 games, a drop from over 1.9 points per game before the announcement to below 1.5 afterwards. We finished in fourth spot, 15 points off the top, and scraped CL qualification only on goal difference.

We'd already qualified for the League Cup final, which we won on penalties, and we squeezed past one of PSG's weaker modern incarnations to make the CL semi, only to put in a supine display against Real where we didn't even seem to try to win the tie. Neither of these things changes the reality of our dreadful league form once it was known Pellegrini was on the way out.

Fair enough, I remembered it otherwise but I stand corrected.

You think it would have been better if nobody knew he was leaving? Given many wanted him sacked and replaced, and the team was flat anyway?

You're spot on - the notion that we improved after it was announced Pellegrino was to be replaced by Pep in the close season is simply bollocks
Pellegrino!
Didn't a certain manager cause a bit of controversy when he called him that?

Not necessarily. He started out in 2016 with a three-year deal, and the fact that he's previously signed several extensions didn't mean he left when they were due to expire. He'll leave when he feels he needs a break or a change of scenery, or when he thinks the players are no longer responding to his methods. Personally, I'd like to think he'll at least celebrate a decade with us - and maybe even stay a year or two beyond that, but you never know until it happens.

Exactly. He's stayed longer than most expected and there is not a better club out there for him. Quite clearly he has a family situation that may dicate when he leaves more than football matters will.

I do wonder if he will end his club management career at City and take a break and them try his hand with an international team.

I do wonder if he will end his club management career at City and take a break and them try his hand with an international team.
He might want to have a go at that. I suspect that it might not work out that brilliantly as I think his methods take a substantial amount of time for players to get into. You don't have that as a national coach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.