Peter Reid

16807258_1683142991984765_3880260936045059139_n.jpg

Red ribbons on the cup!!

Cannibalism?

I really like Peter Reid. He is a good pundit who is fair too. I loved him as a player at City. He was key to us staying up 89/90 - gutsy, tough, won it passed quickly, and still had quality if a little past his best. He never ever hid - I remember one match at home he was having an off day and kept giving the ball away, getting loads of stick but he came back for more, winning the ball, giving it a way. Summed his character up, but it was rare for him to pass so poorly. He was better than that. Far better. As a manager he did carry on Kendall's good work, and 5th, 5th and 9th bears that out. Can't help thinking Kendall would have done even better though had he stayed and at least won us a cup if not a title. Reid's team were a bit too long ball really and lacked variety, but were better to watch away from home where we got more space to play in. I loved the fact that City were tough to beat then, and defended well. Yes we paid over the odds (should have been £1.5m rather than £2.5m) for Curle who was quality on the ground and a brilliant man marker, and for Phelan who was decent but not worth more than £1m at those prices, and I'd rather have had Clive Allen rather than Heath, but there are more than a few happy memories from that Reid era. Yes his tactics had been worked out but he'd have sorted it (Swales undermined him by scuppering the Sinclair and Townsend deals) and the way he was treated by Swales was a total disgrace. He didn't deserve the sack. I mean, four games.

I really like Peter Reid. He is a good pundit who is fair too. I loved him as a player at City. He was key to us staying up 89/90 - gutsy, tough, won it passed quickly, and still had quality if a little past his best. He never ever hid - I remember one match at home he was having an off day and kept giving the ball away, getting loads of stick but he came back for more, winning the ball, giving it a way. Summed his character up, but it was rare for him to pass so poorly. He was better than that. Far better. As a manager he did carry on Kendall's good work, and 5th, 5th and 9th bears that out. Can't help thinking Kendall would have done even better though had he stayed and at least won us a cup if not a title. Reid's team were a bit too long ball really and lacked variety, but were better to watch away from home where we got more space to play in. I loved the fact that City were tough to beat then, and defended well. Yes we paid over the odds (should have been £1.5m rather than £2.5m) for Curle who was quality on the ground and a brilliant man marker, and for Phelan who was decent but not worth more than £1m at those prices, and I'd rather have had Clive Allen rather than Heath, but there are more than a few happy memories from that Reid era. Yes his tactics had been worked out but he'd have sorted it (Swales undermined him by scuppering the Sinclair and Townsend deals) and the way he was treated by Swales was a total disgrace. He didn't deserve the sack. I mean, four games.
It wasn't based on those 4 games but the atrocious 8 months prior. That team under him was only heading one way.

Anybody who thinks:

Redmond>Hendry
Holden>Michael Hughes
Heath>Allen

shouldn't be managing my football club. He should've been long gone well before the season started.

Look back on his time as manager with some fondness as these were my first years of being able to follow city away up and down the country using my fake NUS card to purchase alcohol.

As others said made some poor decisions but I do wonder if some of these were made higher up by a chairman who was obsessed by outdoing the rags. Wimbledon must have laughed their socks off every time they took a phone call from swales and selling Hughes I still can't fathom the reason why. Suppose we'll never find out until Bernard halford writes a book.

If swales hadn't sacked Reid four games in would we be where we are today? As his sacking was the catalyst for swales out forward with Franny and as they say the rest is history.

Liked him as a player and always wondered what would have happened if we had signed him and Paul McGrath over the summer after we were promoted. Maybe our Class of 86 would have developed better given a couple of experienced pro's to help them?

I can remember taking my brother (who is not really into football) to a game when Reid was manager - think it was against QPR - and it was not a good advert as the ball barely touched the ground at all.

I think he did let personal relationships get it the way of management at City. Hendry should have been a regular in defense. I was never a great fan of Clive Allen but he was better than the alternatives (Heath, Clarke). I seem to remember a post where someone said they asked why Reid did not play Allen and the response was "Because he is a c**t!" - might have dreamed that though.

If I was nearby I would go to the meal - I would guess that he has some interesting stories to tell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.