Petrol prices

I’ve no idea why people bother with cars full stop. Biggest waste of money in our lives. Even before these fuel price hikes, owning and running a car is like standing at your bedroom window continually throwing £50 notes out to the world.

Unless you have a disability and you’re unable to get about using your feet, a bike or public transport, you don’t need a car.
Says a city boy who has no idea of reality.

It may be true in a city like Central London or Manchester but nowhere else.

Currently in Brittany. Drove to Portsmouth, ferry across, drove to destination.No other way of getting here without great inconvenience.
Once here buses are every 4 (four) hours and there are no regional trains.

Just finished decorating my daughters flat in the UK. Wouldn’t have fancied getting all my tools and decorating stuff over to her flat on a bike!

How do you shop? On a daily basis?

In Poynton the trains are hourly into Manchester. There are no buses to Manchester, you have to change at Stockport.

Etc, etc.

Last edited:
No criticism but do you keep the vehicles you operate well serviced? Changing the filters regularly is essential for high mileage vehicles. I’ve got a couple of vans, the Nissan NV200 has done over 250k miles on Supermarket fuel, I’d have normally replaced by now but retirement beckons and I can’t see the point of replacing it.

Tank of fuel has gone from £91 in the van I drive to yesterday £107 in the space of less than three weeks. Use about 15 tanks per month for the 2 vans, prices based on £1.40 per litre so at 55p pl extra it’s around £5.5k per annum extra.

Tyres were £140 per set last year (very small) now £252, discs and pads fitted £170 now £290, glad I’m getting out.
Yep its hard work now mate everything's serviced to spec and we threw 40k at Barm Pot Burnham's Clean Air Con on two new vans. Fortunately we've been busy and could afford it, it's going to be difficult if it goes up much more.

I’ve no idea why people bother with cars full stop. Biggest waste of money in our lives. Even before these fuel price hikes, owning and running a car is like standing at your bedroom window continually throwing £50 notes out to the world.

Unless you have a disability and you’re unable to get about using your feet, a bike or public transport, you don’t need a car.
Ha ha you’ve not got a clue have you, if I travel to work and then get send to the other end of greater Manchester, I’d have to take all my kit, how do I do that on a bike? Go on public transport, try getting from Mossley to Wigan on a Sunday night, stop talking bollocks. It’s great if you live and work in a city centre or London sister from that forget it. Also if you have a family and need to drop your kid off and pick up at night after school no direct bus routes then what?

With respect mate, that's an absolute load of bin juice.
My commute is 30 miles.
Takes 39 minutes in the car.
Now, if I went by public transport, it would take 2hrs and 20 mins.
If I cycled, 2 hours and 40 mins.
I work from 6- 4.30.
So, I'd have to leave the house at 3.30 am, and I'd get back at 7pm.
And that's if all the trains and buses ran on time.
As it is, I leave at 5.15, and I'm back at 5.15.
Are you seriously suggesting I (and loads more like me) should ditch the car?

With respect mate, that's an absolute load of bin juice.
My commute is 30 miles.
Takes 39 minutes in the car.
Now, if I went by public transport, it would take 2hrs and 20 mins.
If I cycled, 2 hours and 40 mins.
I work from 6- 4.30.
So, I'd have to leave the house at 3.30 am, and I'd get back at 7pm.
And that's if all the trains and buses ran on time.
As it is, I leave at 5.15, and I'm back at 5.15.
Are you seriously suggesting I (and loads more like me) should ditch the car?
If it takes you zero time to get home, you’ve got a time machine, not a car!

That’s just plain silly

i dont think we have seen the peak of this yet and wouldnt raise an eybrow if it hit £3 a Ltr, the Ukraine crisis is not going away and i think it will only escalate even further but however crank the clocks back in time and the biggest mistake was to close our refinery's and import fuel in the form of petrol and diesel rather than crude, many ask why we put our eggs in one basket and decided to buy from the Russians and it was simply to meet our Co2 targets no doubt probably put upon us by the EU,if we dont refine we dont pollute during the manufacturing process, a simple way to bend the rules as at the end of the day the fuel has to be refined if its here or Russia and will still pollute the earth, from what i remember the UK has around 4.5 years reserve of fuel in the form of petrol/diesel i think Borris has to start releasing some of this to keep prices down
Mad Max will be driving down the high street if it hits £3 a litre!

Below are the historic data of oil prices for the last 5 years.

1656211201907.png

These figures are accurate and can be checked against market trends.
This clashes sharply with the price at the pumps

1656211052138.png
When early in 2022 with the fuel shortage caused by panic buying, the Tories allegedly removed it from the monopolies list. Allowing the gasoline producers to set their own price.
With this government you get what its says on the tin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.