Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gobsmacked that anyone would even begin to criticise a 17yr old kid that has earned the opportunity to start a last 16 Champions League game.

Let's just remember,this kid is 3 yrs younger than Jesus and 5 younger than Sane,both who are still considered relative babies themselves.

His performance,and the fact he completed 89 mins,in a less than complimentary midfield.....can,IMO,only be a huge positive for both him and our club.

Spot on.

He's just started for our first team do he should absolutely be open to criticism.

However, I'd agree with your intended sentiment that that criticism should be constructive rather than simply saying "not good enough".

In fact, Pep is very likely to be focusing on all of his constructive criticism of his performance before Foden's next game so he can improve those areas.

i find that a bizarre attitude to have. after all these years we have finally have a local lad playing in the team- one of the youngest ever and the first thing you think about is criticism and weaknesses. why not just enjoy seeing him play for us ?

hes 17, hes going to make mistakes and not play well in certain games. there shouldnt really be any criticism of him. he played well the other night, which for such a young player is amazing in itself.

i find that a bizarre attitude to have. after all these years we have finally have a local lad playing in the team- one of the youngest ever and the first thing you think about is criticism and weaknesses. why not just enjoy seeing him play for us ?

hes 17, hes going to make mistakes and not play well in certain games. there shouldnt really be any criticism of him. he played well the other night, which for such a young player is amazing in itself.

I guarantee that he'll be looking at videos of his performance very critically, looking for areas he can improve. If you're just going to give him platitudes because he's a Stockport lad, when does that end? When he's 18, 21, 25?

Nothing wrong with him making mistakes, but he has to learn from them.

It’s the same with Diaz. Some posters on here claimed he’s nowhere near ready even though he’s only played about 200 minutes of football for City, and half the time he’s looked impressive.

I guarantee that he'll be looking at videos of his performance very critically, looking for areas he can improve. If you're just going to give him platitudes because he's a Stockport lad, when does that end? When he's 18, 21, 25?

do you not think being 17 is a bit different from being 21 or 25 ? obviously when he's 25 he will be open to criticism. i just dont think you should be even comparing him to other first team players right now tbh, even sterling - a young player with loads of potential - foden is 6 years younger then him ffs...

id imagine pep is giving him lots of encorougment and advice - not criticism. just enjoy seeing one of the youngest players ever for us get a chance :)

He's just started for our first team do he should absolutely be open to criticism.

However, I'd agree with your intended sentiment that that criticism should be constructive rather than simply saying "not good enough".

In fact, Pep is very likely to be focusing on all of his constructive criticism of his performance before Foden's next game so he can improve those areas.

The sad thing is there are many posters on here who only want to criticise some cannot comprehend that praise is also needled

Foden has weaknesses in his game and will make mistakes. Difference is this is his first experience so whilst Pep will analyse he will teach him what to do and show him why the things Foden did are good/bad in relation to the role he was asked to play. So whilst he will be analysed and critiqued the feedback would be tailored very differently compared to a Gundogan/Yaya who have been pro for 10/15 years, knew the role and have played at higher levels than that in clearly defined roles and didn't deliver on the night. They know better, have done better, have experience of what's expected and therefore will get rather different feedback.

He's currently started 3 games in his career, and he's 17.

The time to stop giving him the extreme benefit of the doubt in everything he does would be when that number gets toward 30-40. And even then he'll probably still be 19, an age when most players are still in academies or B teams.

Until he's made about 20 starts, and a few of those in consecutive games, then there's nothing to criticise as far as I'm concerned, until then he's barely dipped a toe in the water, let alone been given a chance to get comfortable and start playing well. Even senior players get plenty of excuses made for them when they've not started a game in a month and look a bit rusty, expecting different from a 17 year old kid is beyond stupid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.