Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the media and a few superstar teen players have warped peoples expectations. Suddenly everyone needs to be playing like Messi and Ronaldo from 18 years old but in reality it doesnt work like that. A handful of players break through at 18/19 but I would bet the majority are closer to 21+ before they establish themselves.

Players / Agents are becoming more proactive in getting the best for their careers and arnt prepared to wait for a 10min sub appearance once or twice a year. They want to be the next big thing and back themselves to achieve it if they get a proper chance at first team football.

Personally I think we have done a piss poor job of promoting youth due to shortsighted transfers, filling the squad with average backups who were barely capable of standing in for the first team when called on anyway, just a waste of time and money. Would have preferred to see some of our own get a chance, if only 1 of them managed to impress and fight for a place in the squad it would have been worth it over the millions wasted and set an example for future youth players that if they work hard they can get into the side.

Only now have we finally cleared a lot of the deadwood out, it should hopefully mean we supplement the star players with youth rather than sign more average backups.

Its up to us to prove to our youngsters they will get a chance or they will look to move to clubs who will.

The club's own research - which they've been publicising - shows that 87% of players featuring in CL semi finals had been playing first team football since they were 18.

So to say it's normal for players at this level to come through at 20/21 is simply wrong.

The club's own research - which they've been publicising - shows that 87% of players featuring in CL semi finals had been playing first team football since they were 18.

So to say it's normal for players at this level to come through at 20/21 is simply wrong.

Agree.

Look at some of our attacking players in Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Gundogan, Aguero and Silva. All of whom were pretty much regulars for their relative teams at the time before the age of 20, all doing it in one of the top 4 leagues in Europe as well

Even John Stones got over 20 league games for Everton at the age of 19/20. Not many central defenders get that much game time at that age in one of the top leagues.

The very best youngsters - and I include Foden here - need to be getting regular time before they are 20.

Agree.

Look at some of our attacking players in Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Gundogan, Aguero and Silva. All of whom were pretty much regulars for their relative teams at the time before the age of 20, all doing it in one of the top 4 leagues in Europe as well

Even John Stones got over 20 league games for Everton at the age of 19/20. Not many central defenders get that much game time at that age in one of the top leagues.

The very best youngsters - and I include Foden here - need to be getting regular time before they are 20.
Yes, and I'm sure he will. But Let's not forget how young he is. He won't turn 20 until the end of the season after next. There is LOTS of time to ease him in slowly AND for him still to get plenty of experience.

Yes, and I'm sure he will. But Let's not forget how young he is. He won't turn 20 until the end of the season after next. There is LOTS of time to ease him in slowly AND for him still to get plenty of experience.

I think he will get a few games this season, after that I think a loan move to Girona is very likely.

A season in La Liga - as long as Girona can stay up - will be very beneficial to him.

I think he will get a few games this season, after that I think a loan move to Girona is very likely.

A season in La Liga - as long as Girona can stay up - will be very beneficial to him.
Yep, I think this will happen also.

Not a chance foden goes to girona. Zero. Doubt he goes on loan anywhere, unless his development goes wrong somewhere down the line. No way will he go abroad.

Not a chance foden goes to girona. Zero. Doubt he goes on loan anywhere, unless his development goes wrong somewhere down the line. No way will he go abroad.

Why not?

One of the reasons we invested into Girona was because we couldn't get our way with B teams. Now we have strong contacts with a team in La Liga as a development option.

Foden isn't getting in over the two Silva's, Gundogan and Kev any time soon, so a loan at the end of the season is inevitable I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.