PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this, and it doesn't help that most people who've read and commented in the Athletic are confused too.

This is the headline on the front page of The Athletic:

Man City's Premier League charges discussed by UK government and Abu Dhabi

This shortened version is wrong, and seems to have caused confusion, as the actual story has the following headline:

Manchester City’s Premier League charges discussed by UK government and its embassy in Abu Dhabi

As the story is mostly filler because they didn't find out anything beyond this headline, a lot of people have read it and are STILL confused.

All we know is that the UK government spoke to the UK embassy.
Given that The Athletic were interested enough to put in a freedom of Information request, it's almost certain that journalists have been contacting the embassy, so this could literally be someone reporting back "we've been contacted by a journalist and have said we don't know anything".

It might be more, but nobody who isn't involved knows.

Sounds like the media are doing the groundwork for the day they know is coming when we’re cleared

The story and conspiracy theories will rumble on with sly digs about dodgy deals to make it go away and the bellends on Twitter will refuse to accept anything other than we bought our way out of it

The numpties on Twitter will always believe that even if City are fully exonerated. The club are doing the right thing using all avenues and channels to get this put in the bin. Outside investment for the country when we haven’t got a pot to piss in is far more important than what the Premier thinks should happen to keep their American owners happy. We’ve been here before with the U.K. Government and the Premier League which is why they have Saudi owners when before it was initially blocked.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this, and it doesn't help that most people who've read and commented in the Athletic are confused too.

This is the headline on the front page of The Athletic:

Man City's Premier League charges discussed by UK government and Abu Dhabi

This shortened version is wrong, and seems to have caused confusion, as the actual story has the following headline:

Manchester City’s Premier League charges discussed by UK government and its embassy in Abu Dhabi

As the story is mostly filler because they didn't find out anything beyond this headline, a lot of people have read it and are STILL confused.

All we know is that the UK government spoke to the UK embassy.
Given that The Athletic were interested enough to put in a freedom of Information request, it's almost certain that journalists have been contacting the embassy, so this could literally be someone reporting back "we've been contacted by a journalist and have said we don't know anything".

It might be more, but nobody who isn't involved knows.

They know exactly what they are doing. Crafting the narrative City were exonerated due to external pressure from the Government due to the Abu Dhabi investment in the UK. 2 weeks after we are cleared this will be classed as established fact and all the usual suspects will carry on freely defaming our club in the press.

They know exactly what they are doing. Crafting the narrative City were exonerated due to external pressure from the Government due to the Abu Dhabi investment in the UK. 2 weeks after we are cleared this will be classed as established fact and all the usual suspects will carry on freely defaming our club in the press.
It might be a mistake, but if not, then I think we're looking at clickbait rather than conspiracy.

Exactly so fuck'em. They come swinging at us with all the sticks they can find and now complain we fight back with a bigger stick.

As a 'benefit' of my free access to The Athletic I can see all the comments (if I could be bothered I can also comment but don't do so).

Needless to say they are exactly as you'd expect if you went on Red Cafe or RAWK. Strangely The Athletic rarely open comments on any articles on this subject. Here are some examples:
Yet The Pathetic wonder why they are so widely disliked by so many blues.
They're practically begging people to subscribe which says it all really.

Because it shouldn’t be discussed at all at that level, to me that being an inevitability helps the argument for anyone saying not just a state but anyone with links or direct association to a state or ruling body also shouldn’t be owning a football club.

I’ve never agreed with that, but that’s because I believe their private ownership should be completely separated from their state role.
The PL have accused our owner, one of the biggest investors in the UK who helped bail out our banks, of committing fraud. He is also a leading member of a Government which is one of our biggest trade partners and one of our biggest aliies in the gulf region (especially in the fight against Islamist terrorism).
At the same time the key players running the PL (Richard Masters and his pals at LFC and MUFC who vetted his appointment) have launched a politically-motivated investigfation into our finances going back to 2008. After four years they chose not to sanction us (presumably because of lack of evidence) so they have passed the buck to a so-called independent panel.
Meanwhile our Government (with all-party support) is pushing for an independent regulator because it believes the people in charge of the PL are unethical and can't be trusted. City are the only club (as far as we know) supporting independent regulation. Why wouldn't the Government be interested in all these issues?

Exactly so fuck'em. They come swinging at us with all the sticks they can find and now complain we fight back with a bigger stick.
Our biggest stick was to win the treble and become a major global earner for our owners.

I hope they never learn to like City and keep all the accusations coming, it seems to stimulate us to further heights.

From a fan point of view many years in the doldrums has battle hardened us so we expect nothing good from opponents and media.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.