Platini considering expanding Champions League/axing Europa

I actually think this is a fantastic idea. No-one likes the Europa League it's reputation is terrible, it's all about the Champions League, that's where the prestige and money is. An expanded Champions League and the Europa League scrapped would be great for English clubs.

What really annoys is that you just know Platini is suggesting this now because it looks like some 'established' names are going to miss out this time around, Chelsea and Inter Milan. I bet Platini would've dismissed this when the established order were safe and it was a closed shop, in previous years.

It'll be like a club version of this... imagine some of the crap teams that could squeeze through to the group stage.

2q1grp1.jpg

nwhn3 said:
Suddenly the established order is being threatened, so they need another way to ensure their favouries don't miss out and they can still get into the competition regardless of them failing in their respective leagues. It would make a mockery of the CL and the domestic leagues.

Excellent call re established order.

Done for the sole reason of protecting the elite clubs but i actually think it is a good idea.

I didn't think this would happen until United were fighting for the 4th England spot.

alky313 said:
This competition is so bloated and so ridiculous now. Its really should only be:

Champions from UEFAs top 12 Leagues.
Qualifier for the last 4 remaining spots.

5 Rounds, 4 Two Legged Ties and a Final.

Its all about TV revenue and foregoes common sense.

Personally think it should be 2 teams from each of the top 8 leagues, the cup winners and the league winners. If a team wins the double, then it should be the 2nd place team in the league or the finalist in the cup that gets the spot. Then it would really be a "Champions league."

If that doesn't make UEFA enough money, they could do a "European cup" in the same manner as the current Champions league, just excluding the teams that are in the new Champions league. Thus removing the need for the unnecessary Europa league. There would be plenty of quality teams in it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.