Player thread: Edin Dzeko (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vucko23

hard to score a header or in-box goal when every city player is trying to walk the ball into the net, very frustrating

vucko23 said:
hard to score a header or in-box goal when every city player is trying to walk the ball into the net, very frustrating

It's even harder when you're not in the box at all.

First off - some of you (Damocles etc., sorry for calling out) are forgetting one thing - player like Edin is difficult to let go because, apart from Kun, he's been City's most consistent attacking player since coming here (not game by game, but just overall production).

Second thing - what happens if Bony flops? And never say never. Negredo was "the second coming" for a while, and don't even get me started on BALLOTELLI...and we've seen how that turned out. Then Jovetic (who now appears to be next odd striker out...

Guess who's common denominator in that lineup of failed strikers. Yes, it is the boy you are so quick to dismiss AGAIN.

Thankfully, I truly believe City management disagrees with the sentiment of giving up a consistent goalscorer to "freshen up" (wtf?) - because such players don't grow on trees.

But, Edin will have to accept 3rd striker role (THIS is the key)...which I really believe he will because he seems to be happy at City, and there is plenty of games to go around.

P.S. to reinforce my point - if management was ready to "freshen up" and if Edin didn't see himself here as a second fiddle to Aguero - doubt they would've signed 5 year agreement this past summer (if I am correct)...so, truly believe he will be here a while.

bitsmith said:
vucko23 said:

It's even harder when you're not in the box at all.

I have to notice you keep brining this up - do you really think this is simply Dzeko's free will (to drop deep or flank left/right???). If you do - I wonder if you understand strategic part of football game.

This is by design, which Dzeko probably HATES because he knows he is best in the box. Never did it in Wolfsburg, never does it (to this day) in Bosnian NT...cmon brother, it's never that simple.

He probably gets some instructions to drop deep but he is extremely slow to get in when needed this season.

EaglesFan said:
First off - some of you (Damocles etc., sorry for calling out) are forgetting one thing - player like Edin is difficult to let go because, apart from Kun, he's been City's most consistent attacking player since coming here (not game by game, but just overall production).

Second thing - what happens if Bony flops? And never say never. Negredo was "the second coming" for a while, and don't even get me started on BALLOTELLI...and we've seen how that turned out. Then Jovetic (who now appears to be next odd striker out...

Guess who's common denominator in that lineup of failed strikers. Yes, it is the boy you are so quick to dismiss AGAIN.

Thankfully, I truly believe City management disagrees with the sentiment of giving up a consistent goalscorer to "freshen up" (wtf?) - because such players don't grow on trees.

But, Edin will have to accept 3rd striker role (THIS is the key)...which I really believe he will because he seems to be happy at City, and there is plenty of games to go around.

P.S. to reinforce my point - if management was ready to "freshen up" and if Edin didn't see himself here as a second fiddle to Aguero - doubt they would've signed 5 year agreement this past summer (if I am correct)...so, truly believe he will be here a while.
Mate, Balotelli has all the physical attributes to become a true world star, but he will never achieve this in his current state because he's plainly bonkers and his career potential at the summit of world football is slowly ebbing away from him.

So apart from Bonkers Balotelli, as strikers in recent times we've had Kun, Tevez, Negredo, Jovetic and Bony (just joined) and to be honest aside from Bony who hasn't kicked a ball for us yet I would rather any of the aforementioned start ahead of Dzeko.

I really wanted him here when he was at Wolfsburg and resolutely supported him for his first 18 months at City when many had already labeled him a donkey and wanted him nowhere near the first team. But as even you have alluded to, City are a fluid team who require players who are comfortable dropping deep or going out wide to keep our style of play flowing which is just not Dzeko's game.

This is why at times with Dzeko in the team it feels like we're playing with a player short. Coupled with his lack of skill and cumbersome touch, his immobility only seeks to highlight how wrong he is for Manchester City's free flowing style of football. I will always be grateful for the equaliser against QPR and for the other important goals he's scored for us, but I honestly feel its time for us to replace Dzeko with a more mobile, adaptable striker and allow him to go to a club better suited to his strengths.

Remember when Negrado arrived? Dzêko upped his game, preseason he was full of righteous indignation, determined to still be one of the main strikers, I'm hoping Bony's arrival will spark that fight in him again, as, no disrespect to Jovetic, he's not a theat to Dzeko, Bony on the other hand, is.
Džeko had a pretty good season last year, scoring some vital goals, stepping up exactly when needed, give his a break, he's just got over injury, and not had a run in the side, when he has played it's been in an underperformering one,

Not ready to sell him yet. With Bony in, he seems to be really competing for his spot. Brilliant goal and excellent lead up to the other goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.