Pogba Alternatives?

Silva_Spell

If the Pogba deal doesn't come off this summer, we really need to strengthen CM, whether that's a similar player or not, and even if we were to end up signing Pogba next summer. So who is out there?

Verratti - Would be an absolute monster signing. Better than Pogba imo, tho a different kind of midfielder. Brilliant on the ball, dictates play from deep, high work rate, intelligent off and on the ball, aggressive. Bit of a mix of Xavi, Pirlo and Gattuso. Would allow Yaya to be pushed forward without us losing that creativity/dictatorship from deep. Would probably prefer to sign for us over staying in Ligue 1, but very difficult to prize away from PSG given their obvious lack of need to sell.

Wilshere - Would be ideal in a holding role but, whilst not as good as Verratti, can also play in a more advanced role. However, as we know, very injury prone and even given that fact would cost a fortune, and may prefer to stay at Arsenal anyway.

Koke - excellent player, busy, high workrate, good on the ball but seems to love Atletico, making any move very difficult. If he can (reportedly) rebuff the advances of Barca he'd likely do the same to us.

Carvalho - Not seen much of him tbh. Looks more of an out and out defensive midfielder. Much more raw than the above. Probably an expensive gamble.

Any others?

If the Pogba deal doesn't come off this summer, we really need to strengthen CM, whether that's a similar player or not, and even if we were to end up signing Pogba next summer. So who is out there?

Verratti - Would be an absolute monster signing. Better than Pogba imo, tho a different kind of midfielder. Brilliant on the ball, dictates play from deep, high work rate, intelligent off and on the ball, aggressive. Bit of a mix of Xavi, Pirlo and Gattuso. Would allow Yaya to be pushed forward without us losing that creativity/dictatorship from deep. Would probably prefer to sign for us over staying in Ligue 1, but very difficult to prize away from PSG given their obvious lack of need to sell.

Wilshere - Would be ideal in a holding role but, whilst not as good as Verratti, can also play in a more advanced role. However, as we know, very injury prone and even given that fact would cost a fortune, and may prefer to stay at Arsenal anyway.

Koke - excellent player, busy, high workrate, good on the ball but seems to love Atletico, making any move very difficult. If he can (reportedly) rebuff the advances of Barca he'd likely do the same to us.

Carvalho - Not seen much of him tbh. Looks more of an out and out defensive midfielder. Much more raw than the above. Probably an expensive gamble.

Any others?

Aranguiz, Bender, Naingolan, Gundogan, Matuidi?

First of all, I'd like to see this thread stay around. The Pogba thread is pretty much unreadable now with the amount of off-topic crap posts. This is a genuinely different topic and deserves its own on-topic thread.

We're looking for a CM to play in a system that looks like 4-2-3-1 on defense and 4-3-3 on attack. The CAM role is tailor-made for Silva. So we want someone to join in one of the 4-2-3-1 double pivots, and probably take on a holding role in 4-3-3 while Yaya roams forward.

To my mind there are only two players that would suit our needs/team as well as Pogba: Alaba and Verratti. Alaba's midfield work has been impressive, and his defensive credentials are obvious. He can also work at LB when we want to play Yaya and Dinho in the double pivot spots. He would be my first choice, but I don't see Bayern selling him at all. Still, I would throw Pogba money at them and see if they budge. Verratti is a bit small, but his mental qualities at the role are outstanding. Likewise, I don't see PSG selling, but I'd be fine throwing Pogba money at them too. I think these two exhaust the real Pogba alternatives.

Then you have a second tier of guys who would likely improve the squad, but are a step below. Gundogan (great when he's good, but lots of injury concerns), Pjanic (great playmaker, but enough of a holding player?), Bender (maybe too blunt and defense for a team with our aspirations), Carvalho (same), Wilshere (really excels as a CAM is you ask me) Nainggolan (quality enough?), Matuidi...

Both Agnraguiz and Tielemans. That Belgian is going to absolute immense.

Granit Xhaka, 22, Borussia Monchengladbach
Miralem Pjanic, 25, AS Roma
Ilkay Gundogan, 24, Borussia Dortmund
Youri Tielemans, 18, Anderlecht
Radja Nainggolan, 27, AS Roma
Adrian Rabiot, 20, Paris Saint Germain
Joao Moutinho, 28, AS Monaco
Lars Bender, 26, Bayer Leverkusen
Charles Aranguiz, 26, Internacional
Hector Herrera, 25, FC Porto
Matias Kranevitter, 22, River Plate

Granit Xhaka is by a good margin the best option. Young, tough, a fabulous passer and an energetic worker. Doesn't have Pogba's ceiling, but probably currently a more effective player.

Granit Xhaka is by a good margin the best option. Young, tough, a fabulous passer and an energetic worker. Doesn't have Pogba's ceiling, but probably currently a more effective player.

Extended his contract until 2019, and no way they will break the Xhaka-Kramer partnership unless someone will pay crazy money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.