Political relations between UK-EU

I asked about this very issue a couple of times last week but got no response.
I asked again in the Covid thread as I thought that the idea has merit and got a comprehensive reply from those knowing more about the industry than I.

Worth a read regarding how IP and patent works and how the Pharmaceutical companies make their money, if anyone is interested.

According to that, "Europe" hasn't done anything. Various people from various countries have offered an opinion on the subject. Italy appears to have passed something in their parliament to support a waiver, but it's a long way from happening, but much of those miniquotes are likely to be positioning for domestic purposes.

I don't know much about this part of patent law, but it seems a staggering step which would drive companies out of Europe, and I can't see it happening, or even really making any headway at all.

I'm not sure which patents would be in force that they could try such a 'waiver' on anyway, and even if they did, they'd still have to build new factories first to do so which costs a lot and takes time - as Altmeier said. Even then, a patent doesn't necessarily inform on how to build a plant, create the right mRNA to be made, make it, operate the factory - it just seems impractical. I think that it would be far more commercially sensible to just fund the building of the factories in exchange for a nice deal.

It is the most successful political lie ever told.

"Tories are anti EU and if you are too then you are a Tory"

Who took is in? Tories

Who campaigned to keep is in? Tories. Mrs Thatcher even wore a rather fetching jumper depicting all the European flags.

Who helped orchestrate the Maastricht treaty? Tories

Who joined us up to the ERM as a precursor to joining the euro? Tories.

Who campaigned to keep is in for a second time? Tories

Who did the deal with the hated backstop effectively keeping us in but hoping the thick northern racists wouldn't notice until it was too late? Tories.

Until recently when labour became a right wing neo liberal party of the boardroom and banks the labour party campaigned vociferously against the EEC/EU.

But yeah, if you wanted out you must be a Tory.
(And they have the cheek to call leavers thick)
Excellent post - and absolutely spot on

I see see @meltonblue on this page suggests that it is not true......

I will put that down to him not being a regular on the threads between 2016-2019 where there were scores of posts from Remainers demanding that everybody must recognise that Brexit is a Tory thing

Perhaps I should find a few choice examples - there was not end of hatred and vitriol

If you recall, I was trying to talk about the impact of Brexit on (particularly) the shellfish export trade. I think the only responses were from The Bloviator who just said I didn't understand. In the event, it's badly affected even those who might have benefited from leaving.

You dismiss all this as of not much concern. I'm not sure whether it's callousness or just being daft.
Here you go again - twisting the facts to support your narrative

Yes - I agree - you requested to discuss the subject of fishing many times

But always only with regard to the very narrow scope that you can grasp - i.e. what the situation was pre-Brexit. All you could refer to was what you can find out online re size of fleet, allocations of quotas etc.

At the time the topic was a key part of the negotiations and I was pointing out that you and others, having spent months deriding the UK and the fishing industry for being so inconsequential, resoundingly demonstrated your lack of understanding of the topic of fishing in the context of the negotiations

You have to date only shown an utter lack of understanding of managing negotiations - on that topic you had nothing to offer

Last edited:

sometimes mate this shit is as predictable as kicking a ball against a wall - you know whats coming straight back at you. Does the stupid bastard really believe that people - even those in his constituency are hardly likely to decide tea tomorrow will be an eclade de moules or a whole spider crab instead of the planned frozen pizza or eggs chips and beans? Thats surely a parody account?

sometimes mate this shit is as predictable as kicking a ball against a wall - you know whats coming straight back at you. Does the stupid bastard really believe that people - even those in his constituency are hardly likely to decide tea tomorrow will be an eclade de moules or a whole spider crab instead of the planned frozen pizza or eggs chips and beans? Thats surely a parody account?
The fishing industry should flex its mussels and prove that they are not just prawns in the Brexit saga. It would certainly be a whelk-come move.

Bless - you are struggling with how thing have worked out aren't you

Fingers crossed - your apocalypse might be sighted next week - then you will be happy
I’m not struggling because I work in an industry where most of its sales are outside the EU so we have an export control department that will cope quite easily with the additional burden of import and export bureaucracy required for business with EU countries. Unfortunately for millions of other people they are not in the same position and they are already seeing the businesses they work in struggle, with whole industries at risk. You might like to pretend this isn’t happening because you can’t admit you were wrong but no one with a brain takes you seriously.

What do we want? Langoustine...

When do we want it? Now....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.