Political relations between UK-EU

Yes, and I know you agree with an EFTA solution, which is why I'm not sure why you thought joining N,I in a single market solution wouldn't work.
Because I thought you were on about us rejoining the EU.

Apologies if you weren't but I take it from that you're no longer advocating us rejoining then?

EFTA membership has long been my solution to the Northern Ireland border issues as i'm not one against having access to the Single Market, I was against the Customs Union, something the EFTA does not advocate.

You advocate for it though, don't you?
Do you mean would I given the chance, yes of course. Do I expect the chance in the forseeable future then no I don't. I don't know how this government deal with these issues, without some movement towards S.M. alignment.
I do expect the next election the Labour party to have single market membership and possibly EFTA in their manifesto. I also expect a Labour /??? coalition government in 4 years time. May be wishfull thinking though.

Do you mean would I given the chance, yes of course. Do I expect the chance in the forseeable future then no I don't. I don't know how this government deal with these issues, without some movement towards S.M. alignment.
I do expect the next election the Labour party to have single market membership and possibly EFTA in their manifesto. I also expect a Labour /??? coalition government in 4 years time. May be wishfull thinking though.
Any party manifesto that included EFTA membership would get my support. Always said this. I don't consider membership a "betrayal" of brexit as the EFTA has nothing to do with the EU, after all, we did co-found it and it merely agreed access to the Single Market for its members, who are then free to join Schengen or not and the EEA or not but neither is a requirement to be met for membership. (I'd choose 'not')

It remains for me, for a divided nation over the issue, the perfect compromise for the neutrals/soft opinions.

No shit...as we are seeing, the same applies to Brexit as a whole.

People in NI were misled by ministers to believe that Johnson’s Brexit deal would not create a border in the Irish Sea, Sir Jonathan Jones says on @timesradio

A bit shit is an understatement, Northern Ireland is being looked at, and I'll
be interested to see the outcome, but Von de Leyen's antics have not exactly helped the EU stance. The rest of your post are simply societal issues that everyone is, and will be facing, but as of now, leaving the EU is proving to be a decision, even if solely focussing on this one aspect of vaccines, and as posted above, there are others, to be the best thing we've done.
Dispute this if you like, I'm sure you and others will, but it's an absolute
fact that you're better off here, and out of it.
TBF to Von der Leyen - she is at least now starting to 'fess up, and acknoledge the truth rather than blame the UK:

"Ursula von der Leyen has said a country on its own such as the UK can act more like a “speedboat” than the EU “tanker” but that the 27 governments are right to work together on their vaccination programme.

The European commission president admitted to mistakes along the way in the rollout of vaccines, including failing to invest sufficiently in upscaling production capacity.

She also conceded that the commission “underestimated the difficulties” it would face and should have warned the public in advance of the likely “ups and downs”.

"....The EU has administered vaccines to 3.22% of its adult population, compared with 15.5% who have had a first jab in the UK."

Ursula von der Leyen: UK is Covid vaccine 'speedboat' compared with EU 'tanker' | Vaccines and immunisation | The Guardian

Because like Johnson et al he was from a rich back ground, Eton educated who was just used to getting his own way
Read an interview with someone who knew both Cameron and Johnson from university. Essentially said that Cameron was an absolute toff, but generally a nice guy. Reckoned he probably spends most of his days now listening to prog rock and having a smoke in his shed. He said Johnson however was a nasty piece of work who instantly honed on his non-posh accent, lack of money etc the first time he met him and tore him to pieces. Swanned around with his acolytes and generally acted the ****.

TBF to Von der Leyen - she is at least now starting to 'fess up, and acknoledge the truth rather than blame the UK:

"Ursula von der Leyen has said a country on its own such as the UK can act more like a “speedboat” than the EU “tanker” but that the 27 governments are right to work together on their vaccination programme.

The European commission president admitted to mistakes along the way in the rollout of vaccines, including failing to invest sufficiently in upscaling production capacity.

She also conceded that the commission “underestimated the difficulties” it would face and should have warned the public in advance of the likely “ups and downs”.

"....The EU has administered vaccines to 3.22% of its adult population, compared with 15.5% who have had a first jab in the UK."

Ursula von der Leyen: UK is Covid vaccine 'speedboat' compared with EU 'tanker' | Vaccines and immunisation | The Guardian
Speedboat compared with a tanker, I like it ;)

This is her contradicting herself, the UK acts more like a speedboat than the EU tanker, which essentially means that we can get things done very quickly and they can't. Then she says the 27 are right to work together.
They're clearly not right Ursula, because if you and they were, the situation wouldn't be as dire as it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.