Poll | Our involvement in proposed Super League (TSL)

What do you think lay behind our involvement in the ill-fated TSL?

• We've become what we've always hated

Votes: 74 12.1%
  • An ill-judged cock-up

Votes: 220 36.1%
  • An opportunist bit of mischief making

Votes: 23 3.8%
  • A cunning conspiracy to hit our enemies hard

Votes: 67 11.0%
  • Not good but had little choice

Votes: 209 34.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 17 2.8%

• Total voters
Question - I'm interested in seeing what posters thought was City's intention in their short involvement in the ESL. Ignore the option with just 'N'. Can't seem to delete it.
Their intention was just what it looked like. A remarkably ill-judged desire to make as much money as possible. These are not amateurs, they knew what they were doing but just like the American club owners, they still simply do not understand English football and the role it plays in community life.

And that’s the charitable interpretation.

The other is they thought they could do what the hell they liked. Brazen out fan anger and silence governing bodies with a flood of money.

Collectively the club owners simply did not expect serious threats of sanctions, expulsions and Government action.

But now they know.

Much as I'd love to go down the I'll Advised Cock Up route let's face facts.

This idea was trailed to the media in January and we've been complicit since.

The only way City come out of this with a shred of integrity is the speed at which we exited. Had the reaction not been as strong and if the wheels hadn't come off we would still be in, don't overlook that when trying to give the club the benefit of doubt.

If you voted for 'cunning conspiracy' I want you to know that you're utterly naive. Stop letting blind loyalty cloud your judgement. There is no getting around this, the board have dragged our club's name through the mud and irreversibly damaged the reputation of MCFC.

There is no conspiracy, just pure greed.

@Prestwich_Blue ,what i would like to know is

Months ago you mentioned "our revenge " not in those exact words but i hope you know what i mean

What happened over the last few days do you suspect we might of had a "hand" in the outcome and fallout results
I still can't decide between cock-up and cunning plan.
I can't work out why the clubs who have been doing their best to wipe us out for years, suddenly became our friends.
I don't know why we simply didn't say no and let them go their own way, knowing it would get the reaction it did.
I can't work out if it was a well-laid, long-planned and devilishly clever scheme to strike a blow at our enemies, an opportunist chance to cause some mischief or we really wanted it.

I think The Prisoner made more sense.

With absolutely no knowledge of the facts... I'm leaning towards "opportune bit of mischief making", but it should have been handled much better either way.

It was an ill-judged cock-up in my opinion. We've spent a decade plus trying to catch up financially and on the playing field with our rivals and have got over UEFA's continued meddling at CAS. Then this new idea comes up and we'll have thought, quite rightly in many ways, that we'd be left behind again and we'd better jump on board with it and see what it becomes.

However, the actual result is that we've become what we've always hated. I don't think the club really had much choice on this. How would we have felt if it did take off and we weren't part of it? I'm hugely disappointed in City for being so hypocritical - we should have avoided becoming what we all have bemoaned and hated - but would I have been expressing disbelief and anger at the club if they hadn't joined it and it did take off? Quite probably! Because we're all a fickle bunch at the end of the day.

Whilst the other clubs took off with huge investment and won everything, would I be sat there saying the same argument about how we have the moral high ground and it isn't a proper competition? If those other clubs were winning it then the facts soon get forgotten. Liverpool's success is all because they're such a historic institution that no other football fans would ever know. The fact they got some money, secured promotion and then bought the best talent around to gain that success is forgotten now.
But they wouldn’t have ‘won everything’. They’d win a piece of tin no one, not even them, would have believed was a real trophy.

They would not be in any other competiition.

I still can't decide between cock-up and cunning plan.
I can't work out why the clubs who have been doing their best to wipe us out for years, suddenly became our friends.
I don't know why we simply didn't say no and let them go their own way, knowing it would get the reaction it did.
I can't work out if it was a well-laid, long-planned and devilishly clever scheme to strike a blow at our enemies, an opportunist chance to cause some mischief or we really wanted it.

I think The Prisoner made more sense.
Because in the rarified world of the super-rich there are no enemies, Just opportunities and rivals,

@Prestwich_Blue ,what i would like to know is

Months ago you mentioned "our revenge " not in those exact words but i hope you know what i mean

What happened over the last few days do you suspect we might of had a "hand" in the outcome and fallout results
I honestly don’t think city was the main architect of this shit show . City know very well red cunts were behind uefa and this one which explains why city signed at last .
I think their end game was to fuck up city one way or the other but underestimated big time .

I honestly don’t think city was the main architect of this shit show . City know very well red cunts were behind uefa and this one which explains why city signed at last .
I think their end game was to fuck up city one way or the other but underestimated big time .
I was getting at maybe a hand in the collapse

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.