Post Match Thread: Barca vs City

Not a fan of his but Tony Cascarino in The Times had some interesting points;

1. That the problem in the first leg wasn't 4-4-2 - rather it was that we attempted to play through the middle. He felt we should have used the two strikers to bypass the midfield.

2. The reason for bypassing the midfield is Barca's massive superiority and flexibility in that area. It's not just the quality of players, it's that the CB's and strikers are all extremely comfortable rotating into the midfield. Pack one area and they will just pick another from which to make their plays.

3. Barca's demonstration of complete superiority in midfield made the switch to 4-4-1-1 for the second leg 'crazy', in his words. We set up a game that would be fought and won in their strongest area.

4. This was the only time he ever saw a team face Barca without a player detailed to stop Messi, in particular to stop him advancing straight at the defence, and this is why it was party time for the maestro.

I guess I agree with him - Barca do flood the midfield unlike any other team. In personnel terms, they are strongest in the area between midfield and defence. This is why Mou played Pepe in front of his two CB's. Admittedly, we played no-one there, and instead chose to take them on at their own game, and picked a game where the stronger of the attacking midfields would decide the result.

de niro said:
If we really want to progress in this tournament we have to start winning our groups. Yes we have had ssome terrible draws (it's fixed) but they in all cases been winnable. This season's showing was embarrassing,as was last season when pellers didn't know the score. Top the group. That's progess.
Bayern twice, Real Madrid and Dortmund when they were one of the best teams around. - And they've all been winnable? Individual lost or drawn games might have been winnable but I'm not sure all four groups were.

Re: Papering over the cracks

constant tinkering with the back line hasnt helped. call me old fashioned, but a team should have a solid, regular back four, with replacements coming in for suspensions and injuries. just because you have 2 players in every position, doesn't mean you chop and change every other game.

and he comes across a bit stubborn with is 4-4-2 formation (he fell back into it in at the Nou Camp) ... gives the impression thats the only way that he knows to play successfully and when it doesnt, we are in trouble.

Some players havent shown their worth this season. the team has been inconsistent throughout. Transfers have been poor (Pellegrini has a part in that).

But there's been no 'injury crisis' to use an as excuse or lack of quality in the squad.

If he isnt already out the summer, then he has the next 3 games to get 9 points, think his future will now be based to see if he can deliver in adversity.

May not be the right thread but what the hell...............
An International Break is imminent, so the owner should summon the Chairman, the Directors and Manager to his palace and DEMAND answers to the question "What the hell is going on with my massive investment?".
Those players not on international duty can enjoy training sessions with the rest of the coaching staff, I'm sure they won't miss MP for a few days.

mayo31 said:
I do not mind these type of ranting posts but I wish they would say who we should get instead of just typing in bold letters to let us know they are shouting that the manager should go.

The manager is not a joke. This season has not panned out as hoped for a multitude of reasons not just the manager.

please dont say for a multiple of reasons, tell us what you think those reasons are.

I get that Pellegrini has made some poor decision, but is it his fault that the year after winning the title this group of players stop performing? He won us a title and the Capital One Cup last year, so he isn't a shit manager. He was good enough to manage Real, leading them to 96 points against the best side in the history of football, and before he joined us he was coveted by PSG as well as leading a debt ridden Malaga to seconds (and an offside wrongly allowed goal) from the Semi Finals.

ancoats said:
lets not get fooled by last not score and yes joe hart was magic but that's say its all and we could and should be sitting here is morning with egg on our face and taking home a thumping

if the score was 6 or 7 last night you could not hide the fact Manchester city was a shambles and we have got to start dropping players yaya silva aguero nasri kompany should be not first name on the team sheet because of you name

start to drop them nobody is bigger than the club it was a joke watching yaya last night even the ref was running past yaya last night time up yaya

please don't bin this post or but it in the match day lets have it right its could have been 6 or 7 and shocking thing is most of the talk is about joe hart and how well he played please don't paper over the cracks THE MANAGER IS A JOKE and most go

Oh dear

Was Mancini a joke when the same group of players stopped playing for him?

Bluekiwi said:
May not be the right thread but what the hell...............
An International Break is imminent, so the owner should summon the Chairman, the Directors and Manager to his palace and DEMAND answers to the question "What the hell is going on with my massive investment?".
Those players not on international duty can enjoy training sessions with the rest of the coaching staff, I'm sure they won't miss MP for a few days.

There is the minor issue of trying to secure a top 4 place that is by no means guaranteed and should be MP's sole focus

Yeh no hiding that we were simply outclasse. Joe hart obvious motm it could of got emembarrassing but i thought we Played O, created some alright chances and if kun would have scored it might have been different.

As others have said, it was tough because we had a poor ref who would book a city player everytime we breathed near them.

Just hope we can carry that fighting spirit into the PL for the remainder of the season now!

middleton___blue said:
Yeh no hiding that we were simply outclasse. Joe hart obvious motm it could of got emembarrassing but i thought we Played O, created some alright chances and if kun would have scored it might have been different.

As others have said, it was tough because we had a poor ref who would book a city player everytime we breathed near them.

Just hope we can carry that fighting spirit into the PL for the remainder of the season now!

you are kidding right?

nasri was lucky not to be sent off
kolorov and demichelis were blatant body checks yellows every day of the week
silva's was a trip to prevent messi going one on one with the last defender
can't remember fernandinho's to be honest

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.