Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand there are floating voters, what you cannot comprehend and this is the crux of your problem of comprehension, is that it is not an inviolate law that floating voters float to the right.

You see narrow economic self interest, divide and rule, as irreversible laws of politics. That empathy and social justice is for the lunatic fringes and the naïve young.

Well you're going to be proved wrong, because divide and rule has got us here and here is not a happy place, it is a hopeless place and the young in particular feel it every day.

The right might have the power now, but they don't have the answers for the future.

There's a sea change taking place in politics and it's sad you can see it.

Everyday? Bloody hell poor sods

The petition is pointless (and mis-titled). 13,640,000 voted Tory.

A GE has just taken place. That's a far more democratic tool than a pointless petition started by a busy **** and spread via social media.
Haha, it's with regards to the DUP - there are legitimate reasons to petition but I'm not sure this one references the GFA etc.

You overstate the skilled nature of our workforce and the relationship with the companies they work for

Of course there's still injustices, and my paragraph was necessarily an oversimplification.

But when you think about it, the dynamic has changed a lot. In the 50's and 60's we employed millions of people in ship building, mining, steel making. These were in the main, unskilled or perhaps semi-skilled jobs. Workers were commodity resources and treated as such by their employers. In that environment, powerful unions served a valuable purpose.

Today these industries are largely gone. Car manufacture remains, but the likes of Honda in Swindon employ thousands of highly skilled workers. Skills shortages are an issue and the workers are a highly valued asset, and treated as such. Honda strive to produce high quality product. Defects per car have come down from around 100 in 1970 to less than 3 by the turn of the millennium. Productivity is key and strikes are almost unthinkable. The workers in businesses like this are highly motivated and share in the success of the company. This is the progressive future we want, surely? The likes of McCluskey are dinosaurs from a past which has little or no relevance today.

That's totally wrong for two reasons.

Firstly, the Labour Party could have simply taken those SNP votes that the Tories took.

Secondly, the swing from UKIP to Labour was greater than UKIP to Tory. The falling apart of the UKIP vote helped Labour more than Conservative.

With the surge of new voters (reported that 72% of 18 -24 year old son voted), it is impossible to say who benefited most from the demise of UKIP.
One probable explanation why the tories done so well in Scotland is that the Scottish Labour party have been very anti-Corbyn, and in places told their supporters to vote tory to defeat the SNP.

Another interesting development going forward is what (if any) damage will be done to the tory reputation for getting into bed with the creationist, climate change deniers, anti LGBT & abortion religious zealots of the DUP?

Of course there's still injustices, and my paragraph was necessarily an oversimplification.

But when you think about it, the dynamic has changed a lot. In the 50's and 60's we employed millions of people in ship building, mining, steel making. These were in the main, unskilled or perhaps semi-skilled jobs. Workers were commodity resources and treated as such by their employers. In that environment, powerful unions served a valuable purpose.

Today these industries are largely gone. Car manufacture remains, but the likes of Honda in Swindon employ thousands of highly skilled workers. Skills shortages are an issue and the workers are a highly valued asset, and treated as such. Honda strive to produce high quality product. Defects per car have come down from around 100 in 1970 to less than 3 by the turn of the millennium. Productivity is key and strikes are almost unthinkable. The workers in businesses like this are highly motivated and share in the success of the company. This is the progressive future we want, surely? The likes of McCluskey are dinosaurs from a past which has little or no relevance today.

Labours goal is to help those on or a few quid above minimum wage and rightly so, your Honda analogy doesn't apply to them people

My limited dealings with unions have not been good I must admit.

You seem a very sad bloke.

Blimey, that's ironic.

Strikes me that SWP is pretty darned contented. I know I am. I may be unemployed, but I am thoroughly enjoying my new freedom.

Seems to me the people who are constantly moaning about how terrible things are, are NOT me or SWP.

Another interesting development going forward is what (if any) damage will be done to the tory reputation for getting into bed with the creationist, climate change deniers, anti LGBT & abortion religious zealots of the DUP?
They deserve everything they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.