Pre & Post Match | U21 Derby - 11th February

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2016/02/12/united-u21s-1-0-city-eds-match-report/

My take on it. Was as disappointed as everyone. Thought the lack of ideas and willingness to try anything drastic was the most frustrating aspect of the game. Utterly boring and bland football. We are so, so much better than this and it was chalk and cheese stuff compared to Sunday's performance against Liverpool.

Good write up, it's pretty much how everyone felt I think.

Did you think they looked a bit leggy? I wonder if 9 of them training with the first team for most of the week might have taken it out of them? It felt like a lot of United's players had their opposite number for pace.

Did you think they looked a bit leggy? I wonder if 9 of them training with the first team for most of the week might have taken it out of them? It felt like a lot of United's players had their opposite number for pace.

Good point tbh, and not something that crossed my mind. It could've had an effect yeah, but lots of them are used to first team training so I'd not have hoped it would have been anything too drastic. The lack of preparation time probs didn't help though.

I forgot to mention earlier that M. Garcia only played half an hour against Liverpool a few days earlier after being out for the entirety of January which may give him some leeway.

Angelino , Adarabioyo , m. Garcia all looked as though they have something in their locker. Garcia is very classy and doesn't mind getting involved in the rough and Tumble

Barker seems to be very inconsitant and will never be good enough for us long term , Celina was out of position but again I have doubts about whether he is good enough

To be honest we should be looking at two or three from each generation being good enough for our first team , we already have Kelechi , perhaps Garcia and Denayer could be the others

Angelino , Adarabioyo , m. Garcia all looked as though they have something in their locker. Garcia is very classy and doesn't mind getting involved in the rough and Tumble

Barker seems to be very inconsitant and will never be good enough for us long term , Celina was out of position but again I have doubts about whether he is good enough

To be honest we should be looking at two or three from each generation being good enough for our first team , we already have Kelechi , perhaps Garcia and Denayer could be the others

I actually agree with probably only 2/3 each generation eventually being good enough to actually play in the first team over a longer term period. Several more though can 'do a job' easily enough. Not all have to be stars. Some, like Celina, can come on for twenty mins when the squad needs a rest and probably set up a goal with a little luck, and at very least do no damage to the team's shape and overall performance. Bryan would be fine coming on for the last twenty to act as a destroyer in front of defence for example. We should use the EDS players as resources too, not ignore them.

good summary as ever. How much of the top performance against Liverpool was down to Liverpool being rubbish? Or was it just that Liverpool at home didn't worry about City but went out to win the game and City therefore had space to play and used it well.

I actually agree with probably only 2/3 each generation eventually being good enough to actually play in the first team over a longer term period. Several more though can 'do a job' easily enough. Not all have to be stars. Some, like Celina, can come on for twenty mins when the squad needs a rest and probably set up a goal with a little luck, and at very least do no damage to the team's shape and overall performance. Bryan would be fine coming on for the last twenty to act as a destroyer in front of defence for example. We should use the EDS players as resources too, not ignore them.
Yes agree that some will be good enough to get minutes but not many will hold down a squad place in their own right. Players like Celina won't hang around if they are only getting 20 mins , they will want to be starting at some point

We desperately need to start using some of these players though , miss management over the past 3 years has meant we have no idea whether they would be good enough or not. A lot of this current injury crisis could have been alleviated if we had a core group of kids that we knew could do a decent job.

Denayer , Kelechi and Lopes should all have been part of the first team squad this season ...idiotic decision making meant they all didn't make it

I don't get to see the youngsters live, so I mostly rely on twosips fine reports, highlight snippets on the OS and the occasional stream when available.
Given this its encouraging to hear so many knowledgeable posters confirming that last night was way below the usual standards. The lack of a focal point up front in the first half was a glaring issue and there was a frustrating amount of trying to 'Arsenal' it in with overly intricate passes in tightly rag infested quarters, a more direct forward like Ambrose was badly missed, anyone know how long Thierry is out for ? The introduction of Faupala in the second half helped a lot and they really didn't play badly in the last half hour without ever looking that likely to level things, so if that was a really poor night then it says a lot about the high standards they have been playing at most of the season.

As an aside, if the likes of Southampton can provide excellent live streams of their eds games, surely City could use some of its vast media budget to do the same ? Surely promoting our much vaunted academy better would be wise and offer a useful service to those interested but unable to get to games, there are cameras there already after all. It might even lead to less of the idiotic comments seen after the Chelsea loss last season and to a lesser extent last night.

Don't know if anyone as mentioned it yet but the EDS played a game behind closed doors this week,so Vinny could get a game in before weekend.
That might be a reason why they looked a bit leggy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.