Project Data Collection on City - MMU

thomasb92

Hi

My names Thomas Burns, I'm a 3rd year Geography student at Manchester Metropolitan University. I am collecting data that will help me with my final year project. The aim of my project is: To what extent does the construction of global football brands impact upon place and identity and belonging, through a case study of Manchester City Football Club?

So I am here to ask a question that will hopefully create a discussion among the fans of Manchester City that I will monitor and hopefully give me enough information to proceed with my project.

The question is:

How do you think the image of Manchester City Football Club has changed since the Sheikh Mansour family takeover of the club in 2008?

We wouldnt have been charged £62 before the sheikh.

And we didnt use to hear 'where we you when you were shit?'

There is the threat of plastic fans like at the swamp, and i just hope the club's identity and links to the past are not forgotten is retained for the forseeable.

I`ve been a fan since 1968 when I first walked up the road to Maine road.We lived just off Princess road.There was always a sense of belonging, as almost everyone came from Manchester, even over at the theatre of queens. But it was a complete and utter shithole. Drab,run down,and apart from city there was the brewery and a park (alexandra park) that nobody would ever use.
Today, we can see wholesale changes to our new site. It`s bright,cheerful, far from the shithole Maine road had become.
The locals have benefited hugely, new shops,stores have sprung up in the area,not neccesarily down to city I may add. But the local council has gained, and will continue to do so. The people of Gorton were handed a swimming pool, there will be a college, stadia for locals to use.
On match day you can get a decent pie,chips,drink. You get entertainment (other than watching guys in wide pants and skinheads fighting)
With success, however, there are changes to note. We do seem to get more fans coming to games from greater distances than before.But I do not have any axe to grind with newcomers. I welcome them all. The more the merrier!
I truly believe our image has changed for the best.How could it not change? We are no longer seen as the team from that hell hole in Moss side( which has also changed greatly in recent times) We are no longer seen as the prennial losers, the fans who live with constant criticism and jesting from our noisy,cockney neighbours over at the swamp.
It is a joy to be a blue at this time. Long may it continue, long may we flourish and improve, and long may we continue to piss those fans off who for years and years put us down.
Thank you Sheik Mansour

Sheik Mansour wiped out 30 years worth of mis-management, cock ups and wrong decisions. If we go back to the mid 70's, we were just as capable of success and growth as you know who. It seemed like the club just went from one crisis to the next year after year on a business level at least. The move away from Maine Road and the arrival of Thaksin Shinawatra laid the foundations of what was to come but that alone would have not changed the club without the later massive injection of funds from the current owners.

It put us straight and gave us the buying power to attract top people from the grass up. We now have a model for success and whatever happens trophy wise I'm sure the view from the outside in will be that we are being run in the right way. The academy will show us to be up with the best in producing our own talent and the development of the area has only just begun. As fans the last few years have has been the stuff of dreams and our standing in the football world is getting closer every day to where it deserves to be.

The biggest change has been the influx of players with notable world class pedigree. We were snatched from the seasonal jaws of defeat into a title winning team and unfortunately the image that goes with such a meteoric rise from being plucky Mancunian losers to title and cup winners attracts people who want to share in the joy and ecstasy, but also those who think their 'place' at the top of the football hierarchy has been usurped. We were often a lot of people's second team 'cos we seemed to be always shooting ourselves in the foot - chance of European football by stint of a last minute penalty and one of the Premier League's historic scorers goes and misses! But there is a lot of venom printed in the press and broadcast on TV and the Radio. It was no joke that City fans call the Manchester Evening News the Manchester United Evening News by way of the uneven coverage that paper perpetrated on its back page. But other fans are equally toxic. Some feel that the whole transformation has been undeserved, that we haven't fought our way to the top, and that we have 'bought' our recent history. City's success over the last two or three seasons, in their eyes, hasn't been earned and consequently it is something that should be deprecated. I threw a couple of the Daily Telegraphs sports sections in the bin the other week because of the tenor of a couple of the stories compared to the positivity of other teams' articles. Last Sunday the first Manchester City story was buried on Page 7 of the sports section - two pieces - one about Balotelli and Mancini having a disagreement on the training ground, and the other about Aguero's marriage difficulties. I don't remember, in the decades of following football, any other footballer having his marriage difficulties written about in a sports section. Where are the articles about the quality of our players? We recently beat Stoke City in the PL and Stoke's manager smugly kept repeating that it was the money that produced the 3-0 scoreline and not the quality of play that the money had assembled which had produced the three goals. There are a lot of people who in the past had not minded MCFC being in the PL or succeeding occasionally in a cup competition but now those same people have a different image of my club. God knows what the reaction would have been had we changed our name or changed the colour of the home shirt!

thomasb92 said:
The question is:

How do you think the image of Manchester City Football Club has changed since the Sheikh Mansour family takeover of the club in 2008?

We are perceived by a lot of very jealous people as a club with little history that's won the lottery by having a sugar daddy johnny foreigner owner

Hi Tom I studied history at MMU and i remember all our essay questions and dissertation headers were things like "To what extent..."

If you compare the profile of the club prior to the takeover to now, without question it has changed, but the factors that have contributed to that change are what are probably the most important points to consider in your project. Whilst I'm sure you can appreciate the huge rise in attention the club has received in recent years because of the signings and the money, branding is fundamental in the transformation of the club. Whilst HRH Sheikh Mansour wants his football team to win, as would any owner, you have to remember that buying the football club, as cold as it may sound is at the end of the day a business project. Referring to the club as a business does not take any soul away from the club (even though David Conn might argue it does in 'Richer Than God'), football clubs have been businesses for 20/25 years or so now, you could argue even longer. In the past 10 years however, football clubs have gone even further from being large businesses to becoming global brands. If you look at Liverpool, Madrid, Barca, United, Bayern and even to a lesser extent Chelsea and Arsenal, you can go anywhere in the world near enough, and you see someone who either has a shirt from one of these clubs or calls himself a supporter in someway. The owners at City obviously would like the club to become self sufficient in the long run, and they appreciate that Global Branding and transforming the clubs stature from at continental notoriety, to a global brand such as Barca, Madrid, United, McDonalds, Nike, Pepsi, Coca Cola etc. If you look at the investment on and off the pitch in the past 3/4 seasons, you can see the steps of this taking shape; players with international pedigree, the on going development of a state of the art training facility and the opening of club shops and youth academies in the UAE and US. Everything around the Stadium represents this as well, the sponsorship deals, renaming Sportscity, the Etihad Campus, it's all part of the plan to make Manchester City Football Club a global brand. City's marketing team have been on the ball for years in my opinion, both in advertising and in merchandise (remember the old t-shirts with City in an Oasis style logo? and Welcome to Manchester, and the other posters of SWP, Bellamy and Adebayor around Manchester). Like him or not, Gary Cook brought in some clever ideas from Nike which helped put the club on the tip of many peoples tongues in and around Manchester and the club is now at the level above that, now the club has to reach globally. The idea behind it is to get people wearing 'City', talking 'City' - buying 'City' and that is seen in so many ways, look at how many people have bought Mancini scarfs (I Know most had them already but a great number have been bought because of Bobby - Most bought by women my mum's age who think he's handsome, i Think! haha). If you go in to the club shop you can see anything from cups to pens etc with City on it, things that can be used everyday, not just on a matchday, because the advantages of having a City product that can be used everyday undoubtedly sells more that a product that can only be used on a matchday. Even the retro shirts are part of the marketing genius at City, the shirts that make dad's say "i had that when i was a kid", it brings back memories and sugars them into buying them, preying on the sensitive memories of City - and for the younger fan, the retro shirts can make them feel like they were there when we were shit ;-) haha
It's all part of getting the image out there into the global market.

I could go on about the profile, and media attention etc. But I'm not doing your essay for you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.