Protests outside a Batley School

And you are welcome to your view, even though in no way does what you say even countenance the possibility of the sensitivities of Christian children,
or their parents. They are probably utterly appalled at these events, but are
understandably very fearful of expressing their views or opinions.
Everything being discussed is the sensitivities and feelings of a certain sect,
how to react to it, how to deal with it, and as I mentioned previously, it's
now entrenched, anyone else outraged simply has to put up with it, and keep
quiet about it.
I guarantee that this discussion, in common with many other online platforms,
will be pulled, and the sad part is, everyone knows why.
There are sensitivities on both sides, that is the point. We cannot dismiss the sensitivities of the Muslims involved, nor those of any or no faith. This is a sensitive issue and it is right that it is discussed for that moves us all forward. It is well known that depictions of the Prophet cause tension and the school should have known that and made a different decision, in my view. Equally, the protesters should recognise that protest does not need to take the form that they are taking. A letter to the school governors asking that they consider the teaching of RE would be a more civilised route and one that I would definitely prefer though I am in favour of direct action in many other areas of life. A mistake should never result in the loss of someone's job, in my view, nor in fear of reprisals or of endangerment of life. That is not on.

Equally, the protesters should recognise that protest does not need to take the form that they are taking.
Apologies for not quoting all your post, most of which I agree with, but it's the point above that is the fundamental problem that is never addressed.
They simply will NOT recognise this, they freely shout that they won't, in similar protests, exactly the same response is received.
What then follows are threats, the authorities cave and remove the teacher, or halt RE, or amend the curriculum.
The point being is there is now a de facto blasphemy law, did anyone vote for one?

Last edited:
Apologies for not quoting all your post, most of which I agree with, but it's the point above that is the fundamental problem that is never addressed.
They simply will NOT recognise this, they freely shout that they won't, in similar protests, exactly the same response is received.
What then follows are threats, the authorities cave and remove the teacher, or halt RE, or amend the curriculum.
The point being is there is now a de facto blasphemy law, did anyone vote for one?
It is a problem but we could argue about what is the most important. Tolerance should be on both sides, as should sensitivity. I cannot condone the protests but I think the school was stupid, naive at best, to display images that are known to cause offence within some sections of the Muslim community. There was no need to do so and the fall out does nothing for race relations or religious tolerance.

In America the proper way to 'retire' the flag is burning it.
The Flag code says, yes they have a code

"When a flag is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner"

The guidelines for burning. yes they have guidelines for burning flags

"For individual citizens, small groups, or organisations, this should be done discreetly so the act of burning is not perceived as a protest or an act of desecration. An empty chair may be included as a "place of honour" for those lovers of Old Glory who have passed on or are to infirm to attend.

The "ceremony" will include a Chaplain or a prayer.

The flag must be burnt in a fire that includes Redwood , Oak, Cedar and Walnut

It concludes with everyone singing God Bless America.

The fucking fruitcakes, its a piece of cloth

The Flag code says, yes they have a code

"When a flag is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner"

The guidelines for burning. yes they have guidelines for burning flags

"For individual citizens, small groups, or organisations, this should be done discreetly so the act of burning is not perceived as a protest or an act of desecration. An empty chair may be included as a "place of honour" for those lovers of Old Glory who have passed on or are to infirm to attend.

The "ceremony" will include a Chaplain or a prayer.

The flag must be burnt in a fire that includes Redwood , Oak, Cedar and Walnut

It concludes with everyone singing God Bless America.

The fucking fruitcakes, its a piece of cloth
Crazy isn't it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.