Racism again in Italy via a TV Interview

oakiecokie

Juventus' Morocco defender Medhi Benatia cut short a post-match television interview after claiming to hear a racist insult in his earpiece.

The France-born player, 30, was speaking to Italian broadcaster Rai after Saturday's 1-1 draw with Torino.

"What stupid person is speaking?" said Benatia before ending the interview.

The incident comes a week after another Serie A player, Pescara's Sulley Muntari, walked off the pitch after claiming he was being racially abused.
Benatia, who is on loan at Juventus from Bayern Munich, has not commented publicly on what happened during the television interview.

The broadcaster has since apologised and promised to find out who made the "unacceptable" comments.

"Rai is sincerely saddened by the deplorable episode of racism involving the Juventus player during the broadcast of Champagne Football," it said on Sunday, adding that the insult had not been heard by the viewers.

Benatia has made 17 league and cup appearances for Juventus, who are closing in on a sixth successive Serie A title and are in the Champions League semi-finals.

Racism seems to be firmly embedded in the psyche of Italian football.
Indeed.

I went to Hellas Verona vs Vicenza last weekend and apparently the curva sud that I was stood on will be shut for next weekend because of racism, I can honestly say there were no monkey chants that I heard and the people I always spend time with in Verona are adamant that it did not happen. One of which has a black wife.

Final decision on Thursday.

It's not a problem with racism in their football, its a problem with a lot of their people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.