Racist Everton?

Lucky Toma

Just when I thought I was out...they pulled me bac
Writing an article for my website about Everton not having any black footballers during the 1980s and early 90s(?)

My website is a daft fake-newspaper so in-depth facts are not required.

I do however want to get the basics correct so I was wondering if anyone knew for what period did the club not have any black players on their books. I just recall it being a long time and that it looked very suspicious indeed.

everton were definitely the last top division club to have no black players in their side. i can't remember who or when their first black player was but their fans showed their lack of class when, as i recall, they chanted 'n*ggerpool' during a derby game shortly after john barnes signed for liverpool.

I'm sure they went a very long time as the only top division side to have no black players. It was years after everyone else. They still don't have loads compared to other prem squads.

If you google it, there's loads of stuff like this. Personally, I always believed there was something in it but not so much these days.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/jan/07/race.world" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/jan/07/race.world</a>

Paul Brown and Vivek Chaudhary
The Guardian, Friday 7 January 2000 17.04 GMT
Article history
Racial abuse aimed at black or foreign players at football grounds is still rife, according to university researchers who carried out a survey of 33,000 fans.
Fans from Everton, Rangers and Celtic topped the league table for making the largest number of racist comments heard, the survey found.

Arsenal, Charlton Athletic and Wimbledon won praise for reducing racism through campaigns inside their grounds, but according to Sean Perkins, of the Sir Norman Chester centre for football research at Leicester university, racism overall has remained much the same since the last survey, in the 1996-97 season.

The research covered the four divisions of the English football league plus Rangers and Celtic, but only last year's Premier league teams and Scotland's two leading clubs were ranked in a "league table of shame".

Fans were asked: "Have you witnessed racism aimed at players this season (1998-99)." The percentages of fans who heard racist abuse were: at Everton 38%, at Rangers 36%, at Celtic 33%, at West Ham 32% and at Newcastle by 31%. Best in the ranking were Wimbledon on 11%, Charlton on 12%, Derby on 14%, and Southampton and Arsenal on 16%.

Everton fans became notorious in the 1980s for singling out the black footballer John Barnes, who played for Liverpool, during his first appearance in a Merseyside derby, when scores of bananas were thrown on to the pitch. The club was also one of the last in the country to have a black player in the team.

de niro said:
nothing to see here.

I'm not trying to start any big debate or accusing the club of being racist myself De Niro. I'm just asking for any general info concerning the period in Everton's recent history when people were insinuating the club was racist.

Maybe the title is a bit incenditary, unintentionally so. I'm currently multi-tabling several poker games online and I couldnt think how else to briefly sum up what the topic was about.

No need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows who the first black player was to play for Everton in the 90s(?) after a few years of them not having a black player. So I can name-check him in my article.

Thats all.

If anyone knows I'd be really grateful. If not, no worries.

ps - Cheers Pam (just seen your reply). I tried Googling it myself and just found loads of Yahoo Answer type pages where the responses are just basically taking the piss.

citykev28 said:
i'm quite sure it was daniel amokachi. i remember this period of everton's history. there was a certain 'pride' amongst an element of their support.

He was my thought too. Cheers Kev. If no-one else replies I reckon I'll go with him. Its not crucial I get the right man I guess. I'm only small-time, not the Daily Mirror or anything (see other thread on here haha)

at the time it was widely suspected (rightly or wrongly) that everton's apparent reluctance to sign black players was official board policy.

thinking back, mike trebilcock who scored 2 goals for everton in the 1966 fa cup final was mixed race. he was a reserve signed from plymouth (i think) & was a surprise choice to play. his performance was a flash in the pan & he didn't stay there much longer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.