Racist pub owners made to remove “golliwog” dolls

paulchapo

So police raided a pub in Essex and seized 15 Golliwog dolls which were on display as part of a hate crime investigation. They put each doll into a clear evidence bag and took them away. Apparently the couple who run the pub refused to remove them in 2018 after a complaint was received by the local authority.

Is it a criminal offence to own or display one of these dolls or badges now? I remember they were very popular when I was growing up but I can see how they would be viewed differently today. Strange case.

Not really strange. They're racist impersonations of African people. We don't live in colonial times anymore time to get with it!

I said it's strange because of the hate crime connotations. 99% of people would find seeing one on display distasteful and offensive, I was trying to determine if it was actually a criminal offence to do so. I certainly don't need to get with anything thanks.

I said it's strange because of the hate crime connotations. 99% of people would find seeing one on display distasteful and offensive, I was trying to determine if it was actually a criminal offence to do so. I certainly don't need to get with anything thanks.
What the fuck have you started:)

If I ran a business the last thing I'd want to do is have some old shitty offensive dolls on display. And then double down on it. Strange behaviour, nothing stopping them being on display in their living room.

Rebels without a cause.

I agree it's provocative and I'm amazed a more violent protest hasn't been made on them doing so. I guess it depends on the locality and clientele.

Previous examples:
—The little old lady who was told by the police to remove her collection of piggy banks from her front window in case Muslims were offended. (No Muslim I know would be offended.)
— The pub landlord who was told by the police to stop advertising pork sandwiches outside.
—The north midlands town (Chesterfield?) whose pig symbol was removed from the town centre.
I can see the point, but as usual, such sensitivities are often taken to extremes and the police should know better.
Bradford has one of the highest Muslim populations in England and its traditional symbol on the coat of arms is……yup, a pig.

What the fuck have you started:)

Ha ha I saw the news report and thought it was worth a discussion. I genuinely wanted to know if they are legally banned. The police response was a bit over the top. All they had to do was send one plod and remove the dolls pending further investigation, not conduct it like some drugs raid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.