Rags supporters trust call for sponsor boycott

Bluemoonbaldboy

I'd say lets all use DHL etc..! And thats why I've never understood boycotting buying things like food etc at the swamp thats called for everytime we play let them have our money and hopefully stay for a long time
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/2/7960579/united-fans-group-threaten-boycott

A statement from Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) read: "The Manchester United Supporters Trust has called for a worldwide boycott of Manchester United sponsors' products, with support across the UK, Europe, Asia and the US.

"The boycott strategy is intended to send a loud and clear message to the Glazer family and club sponsors that, without the support and purchasing power of the fans, the global strength of the Manchester United brand doesn't actually exist."

MUST have tried such tactics before during the Glazer regime, although it has not prevented the Red Devils' territory-specific approach allowing them to become the first club to smash through the annual £100million barrier for commercial revenue alone.

However, while they do not believe the planned IPO - which manager Sir Alex Ferguson on Thursday denied he would personally profit from - will be good for either the club or the investors, MUST do believe action is required.

"The Glazer family sell the rights to our loyalty and devotion for the club to sponsors for many millions but then use that money to pay off their self imposed debt," MUST chief executive Duncan Drasdo said. "It has to stop.

"We want the IPO shelved and a proper fan ownership model put in place - one share, one vote."

Although the IPO has been planned for some time, the Glazer family originally claimed all the proceeds would go towards United's massive debt, which presently stands at £423million.

It now transpires this is not the case and only around £75million will go towards the debt, with an equal amount being kept by the family themselves.

That has triggered MUST - who masterminded the memorable green and gold campaign - into action.

"Our actions are no different to the marketing tactics used by all the clubs sponsors - we're just executing it in another way," Drasdo said.

"Their efforts are mostly about brand switching and ours are too - we're just saying more overtly - don't use those sponsors products - and the sample of fans we've spoken to around the world believe this is the right approach.

"Even without this approach, allowing the Glazers to continue running the club unchecked is bad news for sponsors.

"Less funds for the club (because of servicing current debt levels) means less investment in the team and that could impact on sponsors being associated with a winning, successful team."

"Their efforts are mostly about brand switching and ours are too - we're just saying more overtly - don't use those sponsors products - and the sample of fans we've spoken to around the world believe this is the right approach.

I bet the daft fuckers still turn up next season in their official gingham tea towel shirts though.

lol yea, its just an excuse not to buy or be seen to wear their table-cloth for the new season :)

The Chief Officers at DHL will be shitting themselves now. Won't be long till the (old) Men in Black will be at their houses!

have the mongs in black stopped running after getting legged all over piccadilly after the derby last season yet? i for one will use dhl wherever possible.

blue cigar said:
have the mongs in black stopped running after getting legged all over piccadilly after the derby last season yet? i for one will use dhl wherever possible.

Why on earth would you want to use DHL? They sponsor the rags and hope to profit from it - the more you use them the more likely DHL will eventually renew their sponsorship deal with them and sponsorship money is what the rags need to challenge us - you trying to do them a favour or something?

On a personal note; if I know that a business is involved with the rags I don't use it if at all possible and I always err towards using City sponsors whenever I can. Am I missing something?

maybe because MUST have asked for a boycott of dhl?? maybe to piss them off?? maybe a touch of wumming?? jeez

see the OP's first line.
these tossers think ordering a few pizzas and skips will force the glazers to sell! they could'nt even muster enough "locals" to surround their ground when the glazers rolled into town....biggest club in the world, most fans in the world, most divided and gullible support in the world.fact.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.