Reading Challenge 2024

$200 for a book!

I’ve bought two paperbacks over the years but don’t have it on Kindle yet - I think that the Kindle version will be what I buy if I buy it again.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I have downloaded Moby Dick.
I liked Moby Dick but found it heavy going, especially the latter stages. Each chapter is more like a treatise on a theme; I remember one chapter being devoted to the colour white. But it's definitely a "bucket list" read.

Enjoy, but don't say I didn't warn you!

2024 Books
  1. Fairy Tale – Stephen King - 5/10
FairyTale.jpg

I got through half of this before Christmas and the rest since.

I’ve read the last few Stephen King Books (The Institute, Later, Billy Summers), and they’ve all been excellent. Sadly, this is not the case with his latest novel, Fairy Tale.

The first 30%, in which 17-year-old Charlie helps out a grumpy old man, is excellent. As Charlie gains the old man’s confidence, and forms a bond with the man’s dog, King moves us gradually closer to a couple of secrets that the old man is hiding. We also find out about how Charlie lost his mother and helped his dad through the bout of depression and alcoholism that followed his mum’s death.

Even though this is all taking far longer than it probably should, it’s engaging and in keeping with King’s best character work. However, once the secret is revealed, it’s mostly downhill from there. I don’t mind the fantasy element, but for at least 30% of the book, it’s pretty dull, and the characters that we are introduced to on the other side also seem a bit lifeless and dull. There is a well-written dungeon sequence that livens up proceedings, but it’s quickly back to the flat characters and an ending that feels as flat as most of the characters involved.

Whilst Charlie is a likeable protagonist, he’s a 17-year-old acting like a 50-year old. Some of his character traits don’t ring true, even if they are explained by watching old black and white films with his dad.

Set a challenge of 25 books last year, from September onwards I thought I would smash it and get to about 28 but ended up on exactly 25.

The Force by Don Winslow probably my favourite. I also enjoyed Billy Summers by Stephen King and Scrublands by Chris Hammer not far behind.

As for 2025

1. After Dunkirk: Churchills sacrifice of the highland division - Saul David.
2. Meantime - Frankie Boyle

I've not quite finished this yet and I'm making hard work of it, its his first novel and whilst its witty and funny, I've just not found the momentum I think you need with a good book.

At this point I'm duty bound to point out (not for the first time) that The Shadow of the Wind is one of my top two books of all time (the other being The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I know you've also read).

Anyway, the whole series of 4 books hangs together beautifully, and you should definitely read them all!
I’m presuming Rothfuss still hasn’t pulled his finger out and finished doors of stone? An absolute great series, but without the final book it’s pretty pointless getting to invested in them.

I’m presuming Rothfuss still hasn’t pulled his finger out and finished doors of stone? An absolute great series, but without the final book it’s pretty pointless getting to invested in them.
Waiting for that one myself and as far as I know, there's no new book in sight.

TBH much as I enjoyed the two books so far, it's so long since the last book I don't even know if I can be bothered to read it when it comes out. I remember reading The Wise Man's Fear around the time City won the FA Cup in 2011!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.