Recording vinyl records onto pc

Malcontent

I am trying to record some of my old vinyl records onto my pc. I have some software called MAGIX audio and I believe I have the correct cables etc. but I don't seem to be able to record anything other than a buzzing noise which suggests I have not plugged the cable from the hi fi into the pc correctly.
I have an old turntable that is connected to a hifi and have connected the hifi to the pc sound card using a jack connector.
I am not sure whether I should remove the pc cable that connects the pc to the pc speakers and use the "free" (green) connection to insert the jack connector,
or whether I should leave the pc speaker cable connected and insert the jack connector adjacent to the pc speaker cable connection (blue).
When I have both pc speaker cable and hifi jack connector connected to the sound card I get a buzzing noise.
I have also connected the jack connector to the blue connection on the sound card with the pc speaker cable removed from the green connection, but nothing seems to work.
I know I could get a USB turntable but given my record collection it's probably not worth it.
Any advice greatefully received.

When you say "hi-fi" what do you mean? The reason I ask is that a turntable signal is very weak and often needs pre-amplification unless the amplifier you are using has a specific turntable/auxiliary input.

If it plays normally through the amplifier you are using then you might not be using the right output from the amp. Your best bet is to get hold of a pre-amp unit (less than £20) and plug the turntable into that, connecting it straight to your pc. This will amplify the signal enough to be able to record it.

Thanks for your reply PB - I've got a JVC system with turntable and unit with cassette & radio etc. It seems I can record vinyl records when using the micropohone option. but for some reason the "Line In" facility just makes a loud buzzing noise when connected, which suggests there is something amiss with the connection between the JVC unit and the pc. I have now sussed that it's okay to leave the PC speaker cable connected, as I can record using the microphone option.
This will be perfect, provided the washing machine finishes soon.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.