Ref Watch

I do not think he would have awarded the first penalty , but he believed the City player had received a serious injury, and was scared of the repercussions, VAR would put it right anyway, but VAR could not change the call as there was contact. Was it a penalty? well these calls happen all over the pitch and are nearly always given, most with a yellow card. The wolves manager was just looking for excuses, the media was desperate to make it look like City were getting favourable decisions of the ref/VAR, well they still have been awarded less and conceded more penalties than their competitors.

But PiGMOL, the PL and the FArce do not help themselves. Their system of arbitration is substantially opaque. The payihg public do not see, neither do they hear, what is happening. The fans have seen what they have seen - they might be wrong, of course, I know I have! - and we see such variance in the application of the laws. It's not just the incidents that happen to MCFC. Other clubs have suffered from exceptionally poor application. Would putting the whole decision making process into the public domain - vision and sound - when it comes down to VAR be such a controversial way of making sure that decisions taken reflect more accurately what has happened.

There are several 'incidents' that refs completely ignore - free kicks not taken from the spot the offence occurred, goalkeepers pissing as much time as they can up the stadium wall with just the faintest chance of being cautioned after 80 mins. Alex Greenwood was carded, and utlimately sent off for allegedly timewasting at a free kick and we played about an hour with ten. Does the law state that the application can be varied for goalkeepers? Refs deserve the opprobrium of fans if they are not applying the LotG impartially.

Added time? A minimum of who knows what. What goes up on the board is just another element of how to manipulate a game. My ERO texted me and said last night's ref at the Luton v EFC game played 11 mins and the board stated 6. Was somebody unconscious for five mins after the board went up? I don't know, I haven't checked the BBC rubric. Let's help out refs and have a countdown clock. Why do we not have the simplest thing that would stop all the moaning about 'Fergie' time?
Last week Bayern v Real,foul awarded on the edge of the Real box.From the whistle for the foul to Kane taking the free kick,two minutes eleven seconds.Added time by the ref for the entire first half, ,forty two seconds.
This and many other incidents prove we need an independent time keeper.

Last week Bayern v Real,foul awarded on the edge of the Real box.From the whistle for the foul to Kane taking the free kick,two minutes eleven seconds.Added time by the ref for the entire first half, ,forty two seconds.
Or just go to a 40 minute countdown clock that the fourth official operates during matches (with a simple click of a toggle button), making any distraction or abuse of the fourth official an automatic yellow, with a second yellow and sending off for a second offence (never understand having a go at the fourth official, anyway, as it has never changed anything). Would not be difficult at all to coordinate timekeeping with the stadium system—it is already done with numerous other sports around the world.

The referee at lower levels without a fourth official can track time via their watch (not actually a big change from what should be going on in the current system).

That would make it nearly impossible to waste time, apart from what I see is the acceptable way via skill in keeping the ball in play and away from the opposition, or for referees to manipulate added time (as it will be blatantly obvious if they are not properly stopping the clock when the ball is not in play for whatever reason).

It will also add to the drama of the game as everyone can see (or feel) the known time remaining ticking down, with the final whistle when it reaches 00:00, regardless of where the ball is. For instance, one of the few things I like about basketball is the “buzzer beater”, as it adds quite a lot of excitement, with no feeling of “the referee is playing until their favoured team scores”.

Imagine such a change would be very difficult to get past the likes of United or Liverpool, though. And the league would probably have to be forced kicking and screaming in to doing it.

Referees have always had abuse, but social media has ramped up the vitriol against them.

Armchair fans armed with 12 replays from different angles in slow motion have decided that reffing is easy and any wrong decision is either corrupt or means they aren’t competent enough and should be sacked.

I hope your lad sticks at it, if it’s what he wants to do, but would totally understand if he just called it a day.

It’s never going to get better for him or any ref. All decisions against their team are noted for further use.

Do you have any ideas as to how to get fans to respect referees more?
I'd start by getting players to respect referees more, like in rugby. Then coaches and officials.

Or just go to a 40 minute countdown clock that the fourth official operates during matches (with a simple click of a toggle button), making any distraction or abuse of the fourth official an automatic yellow, with a second yellow and sending off for a second offence (never understand having a go at the fourth official, anyway, as it has never changed anything). Would not be difficult at all to coordinate timekeeping with the stadium system—it is already done with numerous other sports around the world.

The referee at lower levels without a fourth official can track time via their watch (not actually a big change from what should be going on in the current system).

That would make it nearly impossible to waste time, apart from what I see is the acceptable way via skill in keeping the ball in play and away from the opposition, or for referees to manipulate added time (as it will be blatantly obvious if they are not properly stopping the clock when the ball is not in play for whatever reason).

It will also add to the drama of the game as everyone can see (or feel) the known time remaining ticking down, with the final whistle when it reaches 00:00, regardless of where the ball is. For instance, one of the few things I like about basketball is the “buzzer beater”, as it adds quite a lot of excitement, with no feeling of “the referee is playing until their favoured team scores”.

Imagine such a change would be very difficult to get past the likes of United or Liverpool, though. And the league would probably have to be forced kicking and screaming in to doing it.

I also wonder if it'll benefit City that much.

I know we worry about time wasting, but then we also have the ball in play more than other teams, so anything that cuts out stoppages could make our matches really long. Teams may change their style and cut our some time wasting, but then part of the "timewasting" is actually to break up City's momentum, move their players up the pitch, reset, and have a breather. They might be quite happy to take a longer match, if it's still bitty as hell - and a set clock might even feel like they have "permission" to waste time.

We've been doing well managing our squad so they can compete till the end of the season, and I'm not sure Rodri would welcome games lasting another 15 minutes :)

I also wonder if it'll benefit City that much.

I know we worry about time wasting, but then we also have the ball in play more than other teams, so anything that cuts out stoppages could make our matches really long. Teams may change their style and cut our some time wasting, but then part of the "timewasting" is actually to break up City's momentum, move their players up the pitch, reset, and have a breather. They might be quite happy to take a longer match, if it's still bitty as hell - and a set clock might even feel like they have "permission" to waste time.

We've been doing well managing our squad so they can compete till the end of the season, and I'm not sure Rodri would welcome games lasting another 15 minutes :)
My post was more for the benefit of the game than for City.

The current system is deeply flawed.

Dead right. If the likes of Pawson can't see a blatant tackle from behind on Erling without recourse to VAR and the pitchside monitor then I'm doubtful of his timekeeping qualities.

Variable brandishing of yellow cards and the utter nonsense of 'the fourth official has indicated a minimum of x minutes' are the tools of manipulation. How long can they play as long as the minimum is met is anyone's business bar the fans who've bought a ticket.

I’ve long been an advocate for giving a stop clock at least a trial run somewhere and seeing how it goes.

It’s not happening anytime soon though. It was very briefly discussed and emphatically rejected at the IFAB annual meeting last summer.

I’ve read articles dismissing the idea and considered the reasons why. And most of them are easily surmountable.

The one reservation I do have though is the effect on the game at amateur level. Which is after all where 99% + of all football matches take place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.