Richie Anderson comes out

DrBlueBob

In the study at Herr Doktor Blau's Schloss
Team supported
Need you ask?
Saw an article and short video on the BBC sport website. As the thread title says. Non league footballer and openly gay in all other areas of his life, Richie Anderson came out to his team mates. Quality response from them.
Sorry that I am a luddite and so won't even try to link the video. Couldn't see this anywhere on the forum and thought it was worth posting.

Saw it on The One Show last night. Yes their response was sort of "meh - no probs mate" as one would hope. I am convinced that would more or less be the reception if a current pro-footballer came out today. There would be some ribbing and some sledging by opposition fans but as happened with attacks based on skin colour I am sure homophobic chants would soon be a thing of the past

Well done lad. Maybe your bravery will be echoed in the pro ranks.
It is a shame in the 21st century this is even an issue.
As far as city is concerned all I care about is can they play and are they committed to the shirt.....not who they sleep with.
The FA should really Lord this and use it as a catalyst for something bigger.
Well done .

Saw this last night and fair play to him. I've said for a long time that the first time flight player who 'comes out' (hate the term tbh), will make an absolute fortune, sponsors will be clamouring to be associated with them, and as far as abuse goes, it'll be a very small minority i'm certain and will swiftly be drowned out.

Looking at that clip though, the only surprising thing was none of his team mates already knew!!

As far as city is concerned all I care about is can they play and are they committed to the shirt.....not who they sleep with.
Well done .
This .

Being a grumpy fcker who hates the trend that life can only existing if it's in the media, I thought here we go - by the end the chopped onions must have got to me. Well done!

Last edited:
Well done .

That would be the FA who urged players NOT to come out because they couldn't guarantee their protection - that was in 2016 and since then after facing criticism for that they have modified their stance suggesting that maybe they should come out en masse. The FA are all over the shop with homosexuality - they are as bad as the church on the topic - and they wouldn't know how to use this as a catalyst sadly. I'd suggest rather than coming out at a bloody press conference players should live their lives and when some twatty publication like the Scum outs them just respond with an " yep I am gay do you have a problem with it?" What could the do? Come out anti-gay like they did anti-Corbyn or anti-EU? I am certain that if a player was outed - lets say even a rag player - he would get support within the game and from the terraces at the swamp and all right thinking fans at away grounds would be fine with it to. Mindless chanting would be there but I am sure that in a short space of time that would be treated by the rest of us in the same way monkey chanting and banana throwing would be now. Its only some of the older generations have issues with this - speak to your kids and young adults - sexual orientation is a non issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.