Ridiculous things from City's history

Anyone mentioned the time we lost 1-0 to a team that didn't have a single shot on target? Think it was Boro but can't remember. Sun Jihai own goal IIRC.

Didn't Fowler miss a pen in a last game of a season that would have meant we qualified for one of the minor European competitions?

He did, and was therefore responsible for the decline in the England national team's performance. Why? Because instead of City getting into Europe, Boro got in instead - it was Boro that Fowler missed the penalty against. So next season, Boro managed to get through to the Europa cup final, which they duly lost, but it was a managerial performance that brought a great deal of attention to Boro's then manager, one Steve McLaren. And when, at the end of that season, the England job became vacant, McLaren got the job. The Wally with the Brolly performance was then only a matter of time, and the root cause of that horrible time for the national side was a Robbie Fowler penalty miss.

He did, and was therefore responsible for the decline in the England national team's performance. Why? Because instead of City getting into Europe, Boro got in instead - it was Boro that Fowler missed the penalty against. So next season, Boro managed to get through to the Europa cup final, which they duly lost, but it was a managerial performance that brought a great deal of attention to Boro's then manager, one Steve McLaren. And when, at the end of that season, the England job became vacant, McLaren got the job. The Wally with the Brolly performance was then only a matter of time, and the root cause of that horrible time for the national side was a Robbie Fowler penalty miss.
Glad you've cleared that up. I'd always put it down to having a woeful number of coaches with top level coaching qualifications and too many dinosaur managers such as Fat Sam, and Pulis working in the top division.

Same game I think City keeper cleared the ball for a throw in, picked the ball up himself and Vinny Jones asked him for it and was presented with the ball. Jones then bounced the ball of the keeper's retreating back and tapped it to a teammate for an open goal. Without these 2 goals City would have stayed up.
Not quite.
Martyn Margetson picked up a back pass. The QPR player asked for it (may have been Mike Sheron) and Martyn duly obliged instantly. So before any blues could organize a wall / marking, the ball was passed to another QPR player and stroked into an empty net.

Not quite.
Martyn Margetson picked up a back pass. The QPR player asked for it (may have been Mike Sheron) and Martyn duly obliged instantly. So before any blues could organize a wall / marking, the ball was passed to another QPR player and stroked into an empty net.

Many thanks for the clarification, obviously my memory not what it used to be.

Our mascot scraping with a Liverpool fan before kick off. It was our first home game after been promoted from the old second division in 66/67 season.

My dad remembers we had a one legged mascot who used to hop around Maine Rd but that was before my time!!

Our mascot scraping with a Liverpool fan before kick off. It was our first home game after been promoted from the old second division in 66/67 season.

My dad remembers we had a one legged mascot who used to hop around Maine Rd but that was before my time!!
Your dad is right. Lots of fans have mentioned this to me over the years and I included it in my book Farewell To Maine Rd. the guy was nicknamed Hoppy (obvious I guess) and used to do a full lap of the Maine Rd pitch before every game!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.