Ridiculous things from City's history

was in program aat, citys first goalie at maine road wore glasses when playing and is know to be the only goalkeeeper to play while bespectacled
Yes, I wrote about Jim in Saturday's programme (my feature was on Goalkeeping Folklore) but he wasn't the only 'keeper to wear glasses while playing. He is, however, the only England international 'keeper to wear glasses while playing. When facing a penalty he used to delay it as long as possible while he cleaned his glasses and usually did enough to put the opposition off.

Played rags in an night match mid 70s before segregation someone decided to put a rope down the kippax it lasted about 10mins before all hell broke out even the coppers did one

I aint arguing with you about the history :) I personallyI think he did hold all rights however backed down when it became public

Not sure he did back down. Didn't we end up with a new badge, the eagle and 3 stars one so that we could register it and thereby stop everyone and their dog using the City badge on merchandise

I aint arguing with you about the history :) I personallyI think he did hold all rights however backed down when it became public
It's a long messy story and I've interviewed Eddie, Franny and all involved. Ultimately, Franny launched a new badge making the old one redundant/worthless and he ensured City took over the City store. It should never have been like that. Swales instigated the badge change in 1972 which replaced the rivers with the rose (the original badge had been in use since 1930s though not on shirts until beginning of 70s) and did so to ensure City had control of merchandise, then he sold off the rights to it in later years for what, at the time, appeared a good deal but in later years was a bargain. For City to make only £26k a year from merchandise in 1980s/90s (often quoted at the time in financial reports) was appalling. I don't blame Eddie Phillips - any businessman offered a good deal would take it - but I do blame Swales, his supporting directors and those in senior positions who claimed to be his right hand man/men at the time.

One of the quotes from the interview I did with Eddie that I think is relevant: "then the company who ran the new shop went into liquidation about 1975. I then offered to take over the shop. The club gave me a three year deal with the option to extend the contract with a higher rent, subject to income and so on. The business grew and we modernised the shop, and we also increased our payments to City per the agreement. We’d negotiate each time it came up for renewal and we were all happy with the way the business grew."

Last edited:
Played rags in an night match mid 70s before segregation someone decided to put a rope down the kippax it lasted about 10mins before all hell broke out even the coppers did one
I reckon 73-74; Doyle and the chip shop owner were sent off but both refused to leave the pitch so the ref took both teams off. It finished 0-0 and it was bedlam on the Kippax that night. I think things went slightly better when we met at the swamp late in the season.

Apparently we were offered Solskjaer not long before he went to United. What could have been...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.