Ridiculous things from City's history

Our ridiculous Greenhalls scoreboard at the Platt Lane/ Kippax corner, which intermittently worked and lasted no more than a season or two if I remember. Kenny Clements and Jim Tolmies soankinh haircuts

I remember that scoreboard and didn't it fire shots from a tank when we won a corner ? A guy behind me on the Kippax saw that and said" thats taking the piss that is " !

I remember that scoreboard and didn't it fire shots from a tank when we won a corner ? A guy behind me on the Kippax saw that and said" thats taking the piss that is " !

Eddie Large sitting in the dug out for several games !

Queuing up outside the Kippax for midweek games and missing the kick off many times because of incompetent organisation by the club.

Mr Banks has left the building announcement.

The new Platt Lane End half the capacity of the old one ( Swales Folly )

Franny coming back with Derby and scoring that goal...just look at his face

Eddie Large sitting in the dug out for several games !

Queuing up outside the Kippax for midweek games and missing the kick off many times because of incompetent organisation by the club.

Mr Banks has left the building announcement.

The new Platt Lane End half the capacity of the old one ( Swales Folly )

Franny coming back with Derby and scoring that goal...just look at his face
Thinking we were one up until half time in the league cup semi 81 thanks Alf Grey !

It used to have a tank firing saying ATTACK! Embarrassing. Best bit was when it said "Latest Score" and we knew it would either be a promotion rival or MUFC and the Kippax would do a Sushing noise waiting then as it changed it would freeze an all we'd see is "Lat chester United 1core" as the Latest Score hadn't cleared properly

I reckon 73-74; Doyle and the chip shop owner were sent off but both refused to leave the pitch so the ref took both teams off. It finished 0-0 and it was bedlam on the Kippax that night. I think things went slightly better when we met at the swamp late in the season.
Yes your right 74 and then the back heel at the swamp

It used to have a tank firing saying ATTACK! Embarrassing. Best bit was when it said "Latest Score" and we knew it would either be a promotion rival or MUFC and the Kippax would do a Sushing noise waiting then as it changed it would freeze an all we'd see is "Lat chester United 1core" as the Latest Score hadn't cleared properly

Worse was the North Stand scoreboard that didn't work for years. Rumour was it broke down and the company that had the maintenance contract had ceased trading. Ridiculous! Thousands of blues would never have seen that working.

Worse was the North Stand scoreboard that didn't work for years. Rumour was it broke down and the company that had the maintenance contract had ceased trading. Ridiculous! Thousands of blues would never have seen that working.
True. Once the Greenalls board was in operation (loosely!) the Scoreboard which in 1972 had been state of the art was knackered. The club used it for a while for fan messages - they charged £15 per message displayed and hoped Valentines type message would be shown. So many dots were not working though that messages would come up like "m?ry wil! 4ou nappy me?" Or "H.p9y B:rt#da¥ Dav3" Pretty sure City had to pay back most of the money.

I always felt that for the last Maine Rd game they should have uncovered it (for years it had been covered up with an ad for Kappa and/or Le Coq Sportiff) and switched it on. Years of pent up messages may finally have come through as the scoreboard communicated for one last time. Who knows, it's odd characters may well have been emoticons but we were just not ready for them in the 1980s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.