Right To Roam.

Much of the land in the right to roam definition is ‘privately owned’.
Madonna bought a country pile and was surprised to find people wandering over what she thought was her garden. Traditional rights of way cover large numbers of private land holdings.

If it's privately owned KS55, then what right does anybody have to walk on it without permission from the owner?

If dear ol' Madonna has a designated public footpath through her 'garden', then I don't see the problem, it's just not what she's used to. Here we don't have public rights of way across farmland etc, so when visiting the UK, I had to persuade my better half that it was quite OK as long as it's a designated public footpath.

I'm not sure what the difference is between farmland and a person's garden?

As many have mentioned here, they wouldn't be welcoming to strangers wandering on or through their property, just because they wanted to, so why should a farmer?

According to a quick search on The Google, there are over 140,000 miles of footpaths in England & Wales. I think I'd struggle to walk all that in my lifetime.

All common land accumulated under Enclosure Acts should be returned to the people. The aristocracy effective stole the land. The current right to roam largely covers such land but is limited to it.
Under the Enclosure Acts Yeoman farmers were reduced to hired labourers and peasants who kept a few geese on the common simply starved. The royal family were past masters at this disgusting show of selfishness.
To the revolution, brothers.
Inclosure.

And don't blame that...blame William The Conquerer. He started it all. Swathes of common land were nicked for hunting and general malarkey.

If it's privately owned KS55, then what right does anybody have to walk on it without permission from the owner?

If dear ol' Madonna has a designated public footpath through her 'garden', then I don't see the problem, it's just not what she's used to. Here we don't have public rights of way across farmland etc, so when visiting the UK, I had to persuade my better half that it was quite OK as long as it's a designated public footpath.

I'm not sure what the difference is between farmland and a person's garden?

As many have mentioned here, they wouldn't be welcoming to strangers wandering on or through their property, just because they wanted to, so why should a farmer?

According to a quick search on The Google, there are over 140,000 miles of footpaths in England & Wales. I think I'd struggle to walk all that in my lifetime.
There are two issues:
Public rights of way often cross private land. The common law allows such access “without let or hindrance” ie you do not need any permission to use a historic right of way which has existed from time immemorial. The legal fiction takes 1189 as time immemorial which confers that right. Other rights of way may be established by statute for example.
There are literally tens of thousands of such rights all over England. You need a local act to scrub them off and you need an alternative route to be designated.
Note: The common law of England is still very powerful.
The second issue is an act of 2000 (?) designating areas (usually historic common land) as subject to right to roam.
Madonna’s land was subject to this right, unbeknownst to her. What was her solicitor up to? What she thought was the bottom of her garden was, in fact, historical common land.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a song we used to sing in the pub years back.

We are the Cheetham rambling club,
We ramble round from pub to pub,
So raise your glass and raise it high,
Punch some fucker in the eye,
We are the Cheetham rambling club,
We ramble round from pub to pub.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.