RIP Bill Lyons (@Bill, previously @de niro) update re funeral pg 51/JustGiving link p52

RIP Bill, a genuine and compassionate bloke who should be enjoying a well earned retirement with his family. Helped so many without any fuss and always stuck to his principles.

He loved a wind up but always with a twinkle in his eye, a top blue who thankfully got to see us win it all before he escaped that horrible illness.

I know we're not really supposed to mention it on here anymore because the circumstances of it ended up being all mysterious, but my clearest, most resonant memory of Bill came from the night The Fixer incident happened. While the rest of us were beside ourselves and trying to figure out what was going on, Bill immediately jumped in the car with his daughter and drove through the night to be with a man he thought was in desperate need of company. I don't really know what happened after that, but Bill jumping in his car without a second thought to drive miles to comfort a complete stranger spoke volumes about the guy he was.

I met him a few times on Bluemoon meet-ups down the years, mainly between 2010 and 2012. I think the last time I saw him was the day the photo below was taken in the Waldorf in 2012. Very happy times to be a Blue, they were, but also very sad times with Sam (GSC) and Sue (Bluebird) going in the same summer. Was so sorry to see that he'd been diagnosed with MND. Even more sorry to find this out. At least he's seen us win the fucking lot, so I'll repeat now what he said the day of Sam's funeral 12 years ago, about a week before this photo was taken: "One of the last things Sam witnessed was us winning the league, he died a champion."

View attachment 106520
A lovely post which sums Bill up. I met him on a few European aways, especially the UEFA league trips. He was a total gent.

Last edited:
Bill was one of the few people that took me under his wing when I was a snot-nosed little shit coming over from Australia for a few games in 2007. Always good for a pint and a yarn. He's one of a few that I will never forget the hospitality that he showed, and many more messages from here speak to his big heart. A City legend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.