Rome

Cheers Taxi man. You fruitcake.

We've arrived safe and sound. Hotel is amazing. Can see St Peters from our room and we have a lovely outdoor swimming pool. Got tickets sorted for the Vatican Wednesday and Collesium Thursday. Also got my eye on Roma home match Saturday. Just sprucing up now to find somewhere nice to eat with the Mrs. Cheers for advice all. Much noted. Up the Hammers.

I ate a lot of cheese. And I mean a lot of cheese.

63592673703124702151115795_tumblr_mg10i3KYIs1rrecxqo1_500.gif

My dad is there with my brothers and sister at the moment. Look out for a tall guy in the 99 play off shirt.

I was there in 2014 when we conquered Rome.

I'm going in November for 4 days with Mrs Inchy14, really looking forward to it to be honest.

November will be better than August!!!!

We were there in July and wow hot hot hot. You will find it easier to get round and enjoy in November. But Rome is amazing. Just get those hop on hop off busses they take you to all the main places. The collisium is just well you have to see it to believe it. You feel like you are in Ancient Rome.

Oh mate...

This had me in stitches....

Lived in Rome for a year, about 14km out the centre. And your dead right ;-)
And adding 'o' to the end of everything was what we did....lol.

Before you buy an ice cream ask An-Tony-io how much the final bill is because we got two grande's with no sauce just plain vanilla and they had us both for for a fat lad.This was near the Spanish steps and I was off my guard.

I guess you have heard the phrase when in Rome do as the romans do.
I digress and all city centres can be fraught with challenge but easily surmountable if we use dicipline and a modicum of common sense.
Anyway what was a mere 12 euros between friends.We could pull it back in a day what with us both having street cred and all.

Rome is a city that can be instantly mastered on foot as long as you take some initial bearings.
We stayed across from the opera house or to give it it's correct title the tearte dell opera di roma.
A very nice archetectural building that pleased immensly.
When we stayed the Chinese ambassador was visiting for swan lakey and we had a gallery view of the proceedings from our gaff.
I went out to buy some bits and pieces from the corner shop and nearly never came back.
A secret agent said in broken chinese-italian what was I doing in this area as I didnt fit in with their generics and I replied back I was just getting the wife some biscuits in for our brew as we had just arrived.I had my bart simpson shorts on,rolling stones t shirt and sandles and I though I blended in perfectisimo (that means perfect)
Most Italian you just have to add an O at the end and you cannot go wrong.

Because it was the first night and we did not want to pap around with swanky nosh we decided upon Hard Rock cafe.
Hard Rock Cafe is the saviour of many a brit abroad and does the most immense barbecue chicken to humble any ardent traveller.
When we arrived which was only about 3 cliks from our digs they were absolutely heaving but the smell was incredulous and people were relaxed and very happy in their own amniotic sacs non condusive to Italy.
A chap came up to us and said we are full but we can go to the bar and wait for a table to come free.
That sounded like a top plan and so after issuing us with a pager we proceeded along with much gusto.
Two pints of Peroni pal.
He said bellatisimo or something like that and prepared to pour us both life giving nectar.
We lifted the holy grail of lager to our chapped lips and imbibed deeply of the best that Italy could offer the weary traveller.
Then he said 17 euros prontissimo and at that moment in space time and continuam I lost full control of my bowels.
It was around the time that sterling was on parity with the euro and memories of our first days ice creams came swiftly flooding back
It looked as if I was to be continually had over for a fat lad during my stay but chin chin and all that !
The meal was splendid and if any one goes to Rome then do pay the hard rock a visit.
If you do order the Peroni then do not gulp them but more plate them out slowly until your table is ready.

A good tip for any travller to Rome is the countryside bus that you can hop on hop off.
These go from termini station and are green as opposed to red for the city tours.
The most amazing day of your lives are about to unfold if you take this country bus.
Any one heard of the Appian way built in 312 bc ? anyone ?
Yes that's right it's the old Roman road to the east that the legions used to come back into the city on.
It's where kirk duglas and his pals got crucified from the sparticus slave rebellions.

But it's also the place of the catacombs where the city buries it's dead and the area is called the Parko remember the o at the end Del Appian Antica.
As soon as you get on the bus you are out of Rome In ten minutes and into splendid countryside and tavernas.
You would not think you were in romes suburbs.
Stop off the bus for the catacombs and there are a few christian ones of interest.
They will take you down on a guided tour but take care to stay close as the networks of tunnels go on for mile after mile.
The catacombes of san senastianio is a good but again dont get lost as it has loads of layers and you wont get seen agian if you tale a wrong turn..
After the catacombes you can have a glass of wine or three on the Appian way with a cheese bap and salad.
I would say that this was the best part of Rome and the day was immense.
For a time-warp road trip that will take you back over 2,000 years hit that Appian highway on the go green countryside bus.

The best ale houses in Rome seem to be the few irish bars scattered about where you can listen to live music and eat familiar food,
Prices .. .. expect to pay around a fiver a scoop.Wine is reasonable at around a ten spot a bottle and pizza is readily available
A quick word on the many pizzas we had and that is is grossly underpar when compared with anything we have to offer.
Imagine the cheapest my mums pizza from asda at around 99 pence for a 20 incher and you will be somewhat close.
To say this is the home of pizza they will deffo have you for a fat lad.Remember the ice cream and the Peroni >?

The piaza navono or navoni is a cracking recatagular recantagle of a square and if you are into art and music then you have landed.
Non stop street musicians plying their trade and artisans painting their next version of a sunflower.
We had a pizza and two bottles of wine here and the wine was superlative.
The pizza was like the welshmans Asda complaint pizza with little to no topping and it wasnt upside down.
They might make fancy shoes and bags and put on fine gladitorial displays but their pizza making industry is truly on it''s arse !
I could go on and on but enough to say high on anyones list is the colosseam the pantheum and the stunning trevvi fountain
Viva roma

A few pics

Overlooking opera house

2q1c45h.jpg

Secret agent yammamoto washika who tried to stop me getting our biscuits in.

ogeuef.jpg

Another shot of yammamoto washika giving it the big I am.
A lucky man I had not had a slurp or three or their may just have been a Jason Bourne roll around in the grass.

282g6jl.jpg

Avoid these two outside the colosseum
On the left is fatucus ladicus who main aim is to intimidate and have his picture taken with you for 20 euro a pop.
Can be persuasive but I've windmilled bigger.

dq62kx.jpg

Inside the coluseaum

2vb7679.jpg

Cracking watering hole on the Appian Way

2qkuvie.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.