Romeo Lavia

Eh? Anderlecht accepted an offer from City and he would’ve been nuts not to take the move.

City/Pep wanted Phillips and his rapid progression meant he had to go out and play and that progression has only continued - the idea he’s not ready for a top 4 team is rather countered by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United all talking to his agent this summer.

It seems with Lavia that many would rather talk him down than accept that Pep is a genius but not infallible and got this one wrong.
The 4 you mention, maybe after him, unfortunately, we are another level above them.

I don't find anything whatsoever remotely scary about arsenals new/potential signings, but let's be honest. You could replace Xhaka and Partey with a double ended dildo and it would be an improvement.
I disagree mate - Xhaka and Partey were the main reason they were so solid and consistent last year, they offered balance and dictated game.

In terms of Rice and Lavia being scary it's all about perspective.

I genuinely remember believing Richard Dunne was one of the best centre backs in the world and could never understand why he wasn't rated 90 on FIFA and the same goes for Barton (I was about 14 at the mind)

Lavia has done really well in an ordinary side that got themselves relegated. He will be much better with better players around him. And a manager that already know him as well as Lavia knows City and the manager. A manager who will further improve him. The player being only 19?

So from that point of view I’d say yes to try and get Lavia back. Adding I don’t wanna see him move to either United, Liverpool or Chelsea.

I disagree mate - Xhaka and Partey were the main reason they were so solid and consistent last year, they offered balance and dictated game.

In terms of Rice and Lavia being scary it's all about perspective.

I genuinely remember believing Richard Dunne was one of the best centre backs in the world and could never understand why he wasn't rated 90 on FIFA and the same goes for Barton (I was about 14 at the mind)
He was mate ; )

The Academy is set the goal of getting as many players into football, whilst run by City the targets are slightly different.

If Lavia ends up being WC and we missed out (not saying this will happen and even if it does there are a lot of variables) that is a win for the academy.

The academy does have targets on generating money and providing the odd exceptional player to City.

If all the players we sold to Southampton, Burnley etc. only ever reached the potential of their level, they wouldn’t attract the potential premium we get. We need the odd one here and there to reach a higher level to keep all these clubs buying each year.

That is a strange take on the lad.
Do you really think so? Some players do seem focussed on short term goals and do well from it. Tevez is the obvious example that springs to mind. Unlike Foden, Palmer or McAtee, Lavia does not have any affinity with the club that would have made him stick around on the fringes.

He obviously wants to play first team football at the highest level as soon as he can. It has been a successful strategy for him so far and I think he will have a good career but a move to a "big 6" club might stall that progress for a while as he may not be first choice.

I think he probably did better at Southampton than City anticipated and is seeking a move before the buyback clause kicks in.

With hindsight it is easy to point to the lack of success of Kalvin-Philips and say Lavia should have stayed at City but that was difficult to predict.

In an ideal world he would have spent last season on loan at Southampton rather than having a permanent move and he could be joining City's squad for the coming season or we could be banking £50M for him.

Unlike Foden, Palmer or McAtee, Lavia does not have any affinity with the club that would have made him stick around on the fringes.

This is why so many people didn't get it, Lavia is not truly our own academy product. He is just bought academy player from Anderlect youth to add quality and been developed really well for EDS.

Lavia like Sancho back then just see our club to springboard his professional career and have no real attachment to our club like Foden, Palmer, or Rico had.

The Academy is set the goal of getting as many players into football, whilst run by City the targets are slightly different.

If Lavia ends up being WC and we missed out (not saying this will happen and even if it does there are a lot of variables) that is a win for the academy.

The academy does have targets on generating money and providing the odd exceptional player to City.

If all the players we sold to Southampton, Burnley etc. only ever reached the potential of their level, they wouldn’t attract the potential premium we get. We need the odd one here and there to reach a higher level to keep all these clubs buying each year.
The academy have been set the goal of producing 3 players minimum each year, one good enough to continue in lower league we can sell, one we can loan out to a decent upper level team who has potential to generate big money, and a third who is ready to have a spell in the first team. We have stuck to this from day one and I don’t see it changing.
Some fans don’t understand how a business should be run, yes we have huge amounts of money but it’s about balancing the books (regardless of FFP), and being self sufficient. We can hoard every player we produce or see as world class. It makes sense to therefore sell high while we can or reap sell on clauses.
Sancho is a great example, many kicked up a fuss when we let him go. He was great at Dortmund but look at him now! He’ll only ever be great at best, he’ll never be world class going forward.

Do you really think so? Some players do seem focussed on short term goals and do well from it. Tevez is the obvious example that springs to mind. Unlike Foden, Palmer or McAtee, Lavia does not have any affinity with the club that would have made him stick around on the fringes.

He obviously wants to play first team football at the highest level as soon as he can. It has been a successful strategy for him so far and I think he will have a good career but a move to a "big 6" club might stall that progress for a while as he may not be first choice.

I think he probably did better at Southampton than City anticipated and is seeking a move before the buyback clause kicks in.

With hindsight it is easy to point to the lack of success of Kalvin-Philips and say Lavia should have stayed at City but that was difficult to predict.

In an ideal world he would have spent last season on loan at Southampton rather than having a permanent move and he could be joining City's squad for the coming season or we could be banking £50M for him.

"and is seeking a move before the buyback clause kicks in." Why would he do that? A buyback still needs the agreement of the player to go back, it's not mandatory or written in blood.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.