Running thread

I fainted after the Manchester Marathon in 2021 (after a bath at home), but put it down to the exertion of the marathon. A month later I fainted again after a 1km uphill run to a club training session. I knew then that something was up, so had tests and they detected low iron, with no obvious cause. I've been on 420mg of ferrous fumarate per day ever since.

I should have realised something was wrong when it took 37 minutes to complete a Parkrun. I just got on with marathon training though. I kind of wished my marathon was without the iron deficiency, because it definitely affected my time.

Symptoms before were lethargy and breathlessness. They disappeared as soon as my iron levels were sorted, and no more fainting episodes.
Interesting.

I'd definitely noticed my energy levels aren't at all what they should be lately, but one factor could be awful sleep.
I've always thought that perhaps I'm iron deficient. Might book something in at the docs.

Any mention of adding more Iron to your diet or is that just not feasible (absorption etc)?

The thing is pal, it's not painful and I can get through my run, but it just feels like my legs are full of concrete. Usually I go running and I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof, very light of foot. I think my running up hills too much as wiped my 50 year old legs out. :(
Have you considered laying off the concrete for a few weeks?

Does anyone know how realistic is it to be able to run a sub 20 minute 5k this year, if my current 5k time would be around 23 minutes?

I’m a 40 years old with a bit of excess around the waist. My fastest previous was probably around 21 minutes but we’re talking 6 years ago.

I kind of feel like it’s now or never.

Is it doable?
It really depends on where your training is at, say for instance you have only been doing it a few weeks then yep easily achieved, but if you have been going at it for months then maybe you might struggle and need to change it around abit training wise.
I will say the now or never bit is all in your head, I didn't start running until I was 42 and only really got Into it during covid, my first 5k times were around the 30min mark, my pb now is 17.28 and I'm 23x2+1

It really depends on where your training is at, say for instance you have only been doing it a few weeks then yep easily achieved, but if you have been going at it for months then maybe you might struggle and need to change it around abit training wise.
I will say the now or never bit is all in your head, I didn't start running until I was 42 and only really got Into it during covid, my first 5k times were around the 30min mark, my pb now is 17.28 and I'm 23x2+1
Interesting about it being in your head.

You do realise someone will read that post and think you’re 69!

I think I see you running everywhere on Strava!

It's doable. Just wind back a few pages and get that book the Turkish chap was going on about.

I went from 37 minutes for 5km to a PB of 24:05, twelve months later. I was 61 when I ran my PB, and that was a year ago.

My improvement involved correcting a diagnosis of low iron levels, and getting serious with diet and weight loss. My Parkruns now take about 30 minutes, due to injuries this year, which I'm just building up from.

That’s a great effort!

I'm sure I'll follow you on there, too. Belated happy birthday if so!

Some great speeds for a 69-year-old! ;)
Haha cheers mate, the big seven 0 next year!!
I did say this I while back on there, I would love to know who half the people in the bluemoon group on there are on here, would save me calling them all the names under the sun on here and being nice as pie to the same person on strava

Haha cheers mate, the big seven 0 next year!!
I did say this I while back on there, I would love to know who half the people in the bluemoon group on there are on here, would save me calling them all the names under the sun on here and being nice as pie to the same person on strava
I never realised you could see who's done what activities in that group. That's cool.

I did 9.5k of intervals this morning so should be pretty easy to suss out lol.

Interesting.

I'd definitely noticed my energy levels aren't at all what they should be lately, but one factor could be awful sleep.
I've always thought that perhaps I'm iron deficient. Might book something in at the docs.

Any mention of adding more Iron to your diet or is that just not feasible (absorption etc)?
Definitely see your doctor. Blood tests are ready and only take a week for the results to come in.

No, there were no suggestions of altering my diet. I'm not sure what I might have needed to eat each day to attain 420mg of iron. My son bought me some iron filings for Christmas, but they are hard to swallow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.