Running thread

In this very cold weather I've started doing slightly less miles and taking my time a bit more. I feel going for PBs and extending your normal runs in these conditions is asking for a pulled muscle. So my Saturday 10/12 mile(if I'm not doing a park run) is now a 10k and my 6/7 K midweekers are now 4/5ks. I'm doing this because my muscles felt bruised(if you know what I mean) so I reduced and have been fine since.

Reactions: ob
In this very cold weather I've started doing slightly less miles and taking my time a bit more. I feel going for PBs and extending your normal runs in these conditions is asking for a pulled muscle. So my Saturday 10/12 mile(if I'm not doing a park run) is now a 10k and my 6/7 K midweekers are now 4/5ks. I'm doing this because my muscles felt bruised(if you know what I mean) so I reduced and have been fine since.

From my experience I would say the distance isn't what would cause the injuries - more the pace/effort.

If you can slow down your runs there's no reason why you couldn't maintain (or even increase) the weekly distance.

From my experience I would say the distance isn't what would cause the injuries - more the pace/effort.

If you can slow down your runs there's no reason why you couldn't maintain (or even increase) the weekly distance.
I think it's running in -3 -4 that's the problem pal, my inner thigh was mega sore after my 10k. I've definitely slowed my pace down and the dropping distance was just self preservation tbh. I just don't want to be pulling anything in this cold when I'm tired. Soon as the cold snap ends I'll up my milage again. Cheers for the advice mucker.

I think it's running in -3 -4 that's the problem pal, my inner thigh was mega sore after my 10k. I've definitely slowed my pace down and the dropping distance was just self preservation tbh. I just don't want to be pulling anything in this cold when I'm tired. Soon as the cold snap ends I'll up my milage again. Cheers for the advice mucker.
Cold snaps over mate, was 6 degrees this morning, but windy as fuck!!
Each to their own, but I prefer it cold, the air is a lot thinner and once you get warmed up it's great running weather.
Your inner thigh issue didn't come after wearing them there bargain trainers of yours did it?

Cold snaps over mate, was 6 degrees this morning, but windy as fuck!!
Each to their own, but I prefer it cold, the air is a lot thinner and once you get warmed up it's great running weather.
Your inner thigh issue didn't come after wearing them there bargain trainers of yours did it?
I love it cold mate, it's the best conditions for me. I just worry about pulling muscles. I'm going tonight straight after work and it's absolutely pissing down. My inner thigh problem was due to my old nikes which are now in the bin :) The new ones are very good, the grip is brilliant. I'm happy with em. Sorry, I've just realised I put 10k instead of Miles. I was referring to a 10 miler I did last week with my nikes.

I love it cold mate, it's the best conditions for me. I just worry about pulling muscles. I'm going tonight straight after work and it's absolutely pissing down. My inner thigh problem was due to my old nikes which are now in the bin :) The new ones are very good, the grip is brilliant. I'm happy with em. Sorry, I've just realised I put 10k instead of Miles. I was referring to a 10 miler I did last week with my nikes.
Cold shower before and you'll have no problems pulling anything mate

I did my first ever Parkrun in 23:07 today. I only started running 5 weeks ago at 48 years old and was struggling to be able to run 5 mins solid when I started. So quite please with that.
Well done! I've set a goal to exercise every day, and after reading this insightful article https://harcourthealth.com/the-power-of-exercise-strengthening-your-brain-and-body/, I finally took the first step towards achieving that today. The article brilliantly highlights the power of exercise in not just strengthening the body but also enhancing the brain. It provided the motivation and information I needed to kickstart my fitness journey.

Last edited:
I did my first ever Parkrun in 23:07 today. I only started running 5 weeks ago at 48 years old and was struggling to be able to run 5 mins solid when I started. So quite please with that.
To go from struggling to run for 5 minutes solid, to a 23:07 5k only 5 weeks later is extremely impressive. Well either that or your telling porkies!

Keep it up and you’ll be faster than Gaz by Christmas!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.