Russian invasion of Ukraine

I've been reading a lot of WW2 books recently and its striking how similar the significant issues are. In fact you could argue that the fighting in Normandy by the allies was more sophisticated.

In 1944 the allies had massive air superiority and they were working on tactics to better use this to their advantage. They eventually developed a system called the taxi rank. The tank crews would have a pilot / navigator join them in the tank and they put them on the radio. Tanks then became more of a reconnaissance roll - they would push forward untill they came under fire. Then they pulled back and called in the dive bombers. They would fire coloured smoke at the enemy position to mark them. The call for the fighter bombers would be relayed back but once close enough the tank would speak directly to the pilot giving them very detailed instructions. By this point they even had missiles so the accuracy of the air to ground was almost as good as today.

What they didn't have to face was smart air defence weapons. That is the game changer and why in some ways this fighting is more primitive. The Russians dont seem willing to use air superiority as the weaponry available to the ukranians will do significant damage. So its very much a ground war with the old issues of logistics and holding large areas by putting boots on the ground and then supplying that massive area with fuel / food / ammo. That was the issue in WW2 and where the Germans eventually lost essentially due to lack of supply reaching the fronts.
My neighbour's dad was a Typhoon pilot at that time, and was shot down over Normandy by a P51 Mustang, who mistook him for a Bf109! The RAF roundels and the stripes on the wings were a bit of a giveaway, but he was only a POW for a couple of months before escaping. For his 80th birthday, they took him to the RAF museum at Hendon and arranged for him to sit in a Typhoon. He was thrilled.

If the Russian conventional forces are so manifestly wank, why wouldn’t their nukes be capable of being hacked - for better or worse?

Well more importantly, their tanks and vehicles are completely unmaintained, which is why so many have broken down. Their airforce is MIA and one of the main theories is they just don't have that many maintained so they're ready to fly.

I would say at this point it's highly likely their nuclear arsenal is similarly poorly maintained, but because it's nukes you just can't take the risk can you?

They shouldn't be hackable as I believe even in the 80's they knew to keep those systems "air-gapped" ie not connected to any other computers or internet.

Well more importantly, their tanks and vehicles are completely unmaintained, which is why so many have broken down. Their airforce is MIA and one of the main theories is they just don't have that many maintained so they're ready to fly.

I would say at this point it's highly likely their nuclear arsenal is similarly poorly maintained, but because it's nukes you just can't take the risk can you?

They shouldn't be hackable as I believe even in the 80's they knew to keep those systems "air-gapped" ie not connected to any other computers or internet.
Did you see those phones in his war centre?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.