Season Tickets 2018-19 - 3% average increase reported

do we ?. brilliant for you that you can afford that, but there are plenty of people that can't and even at a tenner a week it still adds up to a lot. if it was so affordable and cheap why are there barely young adults going to city matches and premier league games in general ?. why is it that in pretty much every survey done -affordability is one of the top issues for people of that age group. for instance this one done by the bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901398

"four in five (82%) said the cost of tickets was an obstacle to them going to more matches."

i assume you go to matches regularly ? can you not see at the ground. the fa cup games were full of younger people - teenagers/ young adults and in the premier league games its the complete opposite. i think its a major issue in football right now and making it a little bit more affordable ( not free) could help that. "If you are an adult and cannot afford that find another pastime." - are you applying to all the long standing city fans who have been priced out ? basically if you can't afford it fuck off .....

do you not just think in general it would be better to get more young people watching live football ?

It might be that football just isn't as big a deal for youngsters today. Is it that they genuinely couldn't afford to attend a match or is it that they would rather spend their money on other things which doesn't leave enough for attending games? I have kids in their teens and twenties and it seems to me that very few of their friends have that strong an interest in football. They all 'support' a team but very few of them would ever bother going to see a game. They have enough money to do so, but just choose to spend it on other things, whereas when I was their age I used to spend pretty much all of my money on travel and tickets for the football.

Also why would price reductions necessarily see an increase in younger supporters? You may well just get the same people buying tickets that do now, but just paying less. There have been certain cup games where the prices for tickets have been very low but I haven't noticed much difference in the demographic of the supporters.

I'm certainly not in favour of price hikes but I don't think price reductions would really make our supporter base much younger, solve the empty seats issue or improve the atmosphere.

do we ?. brilliant for you that you can afford that, but there are plenty of people that can't and even at a tenner a week it still adds up to a lot. if it was so affordable and cheap why are there barely young adults going to city matches and premier league games in general ?. why is it that in pretty much every survey done -affordability is one of the top issues for people of that age group. for instance this one done by the bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901398

"four in five (82%) said the cost of tickets was an obstacle to them going to more matches."

i assume you go to matches regularly ? can you not see at the ground. the fa cup games were full of younger people - teenagers/ young adults and in the premier league games its the complete opposite. i think its a major issue in football right now and making it a little bit more affordable ( not free) could help that. "If you are an adult and cannot afford that find another pastime." - are you applying to all the long standing city fans who have been priced out ? basically if you can't afford it fuck off .....

do you not just think in general it would be better to get more young people watching live football ?
Think the biggest barrier is the number of s/c available, that and existing season ticket holders getting first refusal on the cheaper ranges. Truth is all us 50 year olds arent giving up our seats anytime soon.
As @dickie davies says a group of younger mates want tickets together but those just dont come up.
Ideally when they extend the North stand the tickets will be offered to new fans before relocators so they can sit together. @worsleyweb had an interesting post in the campus thread suggesting the club were waiting for movement on safe standing to go ahead for the north stand extension which would help.
Its a lot more complicated than just making tickets cheaper though, we need more seats for fans to choose from.

Think the biggest barrier is the number of s/c available, that and existing season ticket holders getting first refusal on the cheaper ranges. Truth is all us 50 year olds arent giving up our seats anytime soon.
As @dickie davies says a group of younger mates want tickets together but those just dont come up.
Ideally when they extend the North stand the tickets will be offered to new fans before relocators so they can sit together. @worsleyweb had an interesting post in the campus thread suggesting the club were waiting for movement on safe standing to go ahead for the north stand extension which would help.
Its a lot more complicated than just making tickets cheaper though, we need more seats for fans to choose from.

dont something like 1,000 + season ticket holders not renew every season ?. i agree its a lot more complicated then just making it cheaper, but i think it could really help and when we expand that should be something the club should look at. I'm not saying its definite answer to that problem.

dont something like 1,000 + season ticket holders not renew every season ?. i agree its a lot more complicated then just making it cheaper, but i think it could really help and when we expand that should be something the club should look at. I'm not saying its definite answer to that problem.
Think its more than that but they will be dotted around the stadium in all price ranges, probably mainly in singles. Most of the best ones will be snapped up in the relocation window.. Think it was Tolmie, but may have that wrong, was on the waiting list for a few together but only ever got offered single seats.

It might be that football just isn't as big a deal for youngsters today. Is it that they genuinely couldn't afford to attend a match or is it that they would rather spend their money on other things which doesn't leave enough for attending games? I have kids in their teens and twenties and it seems to me that very few of their friends have that strong an interest in football. They all 'support' a team but very few of them would ever bother going to see a game. They have enough money to do so, but just choose to spend it on other things, whereas when I was their age I used to spend pretty much all of my money on travel and tickets for the football.

Also why would price reductions necessarily see an increase in younger supporters? You may well just get the same people buying tickets that do now, but just paying less. There have been certain cup games where the prices for tickets have been very low but I haven't noticed much difference in the demographic of the supporters.

I'm certainly not in favour of price hikes but I don't think price reductions would really make our supporter base much younger, solve the empty seats issue or improve the atmosphere.

i think its a mix of both. price and lack of interest. i think though if you dont attend for a while you get into a habit of not going and even when you do have money you spend it on something else. your kids sound like most of my mates haha - i.e. big football fans, but none of them go. i have noticed a big difference in cup game demographic wise with a lot more younger people attending.

I think it would help those issues. the bundesliga has proven it does. it would take time, but gradually more younger would want to attend with cheaper tickets ( 18-24 age category). id also say it would Imporve the atmosphere, but we would need the infrastructure i.e. a proper singing/standing section swell. as i said above i think its a big issue in football. the average age is i think 45 + now. surely something has to be done to reduce that age and encourage younger people. one good example is everton who actually have lots of young adults attending and i think an 18-23 age ticket.

im not saying make it free btw and obviously there is a cost being such a top team. also you mentioned when you were younger, no offense cos i don't know how old you are, but to just go the match now its like 60 + quid with train/ticket now.

Even with these rough numbers, 50,000 x £50 = £2,500,000 per game x 30 games (~Lges & Cups) = £75,000,000 ticket revenues.

Charge a £25 average (£20 T1, £25 T3, £30 T3) instead and now you “lose” about £37.5M. In the grand scheme of things, and to set a new standard in the Premier League, isn’t that £37.5M well worth it??

Also, you could announce ahead of time that ALL NON-PL games are an average of £25 adult, and a straight £10 OAP and £5 for kids.

With Vincent Kompany as the club’s figurehead for the new scheme, on the back of his MBA thesis, it would be a marketing coup. Not only emphasizing Vinny’s advanced degree and the topic he chose for the thesis, but the owners’ response to the fantastic support that has helped City become such a great local club, and a recognition that local season ticket holders will be rewarded for their undying loyalty to the club, etc, etc, etc... Also, at the same time, City could announce the development of the North Stand (possibly even to an all-standing terrace, with German style seats, for both home and away fans)

City could win the League and then announce a DECREASE in ticket prices to see the BEST FOOTBALL IN THE COUNTRY, and turn the City narrative on its head, emulating the German club’s that get massive support for a fraction of the prices in the Premier League. Plus, City’s commercial revenues are starting to far outpace most other clubs and the added effect of such low ticket prices is to put pressure on other clubs to follow suit.

I think the PR alone would FAR outweigh the £37.5M and would set a new benchmark for responsible ownership of a club in one of the most economically depressed areas of Europe. And, I think it would attract further commercial activity. Throw in the development of the collar area that will return even more funds to the owners, and it is a win-win-win.

i think its a mix of both. price and lack of interest. i think though if you dont attend for a while you get into a habit of not going and even when you do have money you spend it on something else. your kids sound like most of my mates haha - i.e. big football fans, but none of them go. i have noticed a big difference in cup game demographic wise with a lot more younger people attending. even if it was a reduction in match day tickets i think that could make a difference.

I think it would help those issues. the bundesliga has proven it does. it would take time, but gradually more younger would want to attend with cheaper tickets ( 18-24 age category). id also say it would Imporve the atmosphere, but we would need the infrastructure i.e. a proper singing/standing section swell. as i said above i think its a big issue in football. the average age is i think 45 + now. surely something has to be done to reduce that age and encourage younger people. one good example is everton who actually have lots of young adults attending and i think an 18-23 age ticket.

I agree that something needs to be done but I'm not sure reducing ticket prices will have that affect as oldies like myself will keep on going, so all you have is existing ST holders paying less. I can't really see any solution until we expand the north stand and there will be swathes of new seats and these could be perhaps offered (at attractive prices) to supporters that don't currently have tickets before they are offered to existing ticket holders for relocation.

However, I am still not totally convinced that there are thousands of younger fans desperate to go that are just waiting for cheaper tickets.

I agree that something needs to be done but I'm not sure reducing ticket prices will have that affect as oldies like myself will keep on going, so all you have is existing ST holders paying less. I can't really see any solution until we expand the north stand and there will be swathes of new seats and these could be perhaps offered (at attractive prices) to supporters that don't currently have tickets before they are offered to existing ticket holders for relocation.

However, I am still not totally convinced that there are thousands of younger fans desperate to go that are just waiting for cheaper tickets.

i know loads of people who have stopped going. i usually sit in the east stand with my dad or brother when i get the time to go now and most people are late 50s and a lot older, so eventually over time people attend less and stop going ( dont mean that in a bad way) . i agree on the north stand and hopefully something is done when we expand again.

there probably aren't thousands upon thousands right now, but i think it would be a gradual process over years. with the amount of younger people in beswick/ manchester alone that dont attend- the potential to gain and grow that base is huge. fair enough mate you make some good points.

i think this is a good/relevant discussion to have on here.

Last edited:
Cap all footballer's wagers at £300K a week. Reduce squad sizes. Cap tickets at £30 each.
Aye and get a Championship quality team!

Wage caps cannot work. Sponsorship income from commercial sources could go direct to the players concerned.

Stupid idea.

Imagine the headlines if City win the Champions League along with the cup and league and we Consequently lower the season ticket prices by 10%. It would surely have a ripple effect across England in a postive way?

People talk about us inflating the transfer market but lowering the season tickets could have the opposite effect. Imagine being a united fan and paying £1000+ when we're watching the best football in the world for a quater of the price
Even half the price, capped for a decade.

City should be all over this

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.