Sergio Agüero | Manchester City's All Time Top Goalscorer

I think we'll see it this summer at the World Cup when he is top scorer.

He's that good.

Agree what I’m worried about for someone so young having 2 injuries and being out for months he might be one of these players that keep getting these injuries that keeps him out for months

I was referring to Jesus for Brazil!
Ah... then maybe... Neymar edges it for me though. But yeah, Jesus is up there.

I think that Brazil wins it all - if I'm correct in this or in that Brazil at least reaches the finals, Neymar/Jesus will have the (joint) most games behind them of GB-contenders - coupled with a very strong offense - and hence, excellent chances of actually winning the Boot.
===
But - who is going to take Brazil's penalties?

Who is more likely to pass to an open goal scorer?
===
Mr. Selfish is gonna score more, methinks.

Last edited:
I understand that view, entirely.

But I also do think every time Sergio misses a goalscoring opportunity, it's another tick for Pep in terms of preferring Jesus, in terms of how he balances the scale in his own mind with regards Sergio's other deficiencies?

If we're being brutally harsh, Sergio should score between 40-50 goals a season (certainly in this new set-up) but plenty go by the wayside.

Scoring four against Leicester might not be an issue for Pep, more the one chance Sergio has to make the difference in a big game?

A sort of confirmation bias, if taking into account his attempts to sign additional forwards from Mbappe to Sanchez?

I think Pep agrees with you. I definitely think he's a little uneasy about having Aguero as our main central forward. He doesn't fit the mould of what he wants in that position, whereas Jesus is much closer to what he is looking for.

I agree that Aguero could realistically be looking at 40-50 a season in this team. But I think if he stayed injury free and was picked in every game like Messi or Kane are, I think he's quite easily be getting 40 plus a season. His goals per minute ratio certainly suggests that he would reach those levels pretty comfortably.

I think the point I'm making is that Jesus, or Sanchez almost certainly wouldn't be getting 40-50 goals a season in this team, or any other team for that matter. They don't quite have the same natural instinct for goal as Sergio does.

I think the argument about having a better fit as a "team player" up front, someone who links play better, is that it would get the best out their team mates. I understand that logic completely.

But when you look at our team this season, could we realistically expect Sterling to be getting more than the 20 odd goals he's already scored this season if we had a better team player than Aguero? Would Sané have more than his 10 assists in the league? Would DeBruyne and Silva be able to go up a level compared to how they've played? I genuinely don't think any of that is realistic.

I completely understand the view that Aguero is not quite right for this set up. Before he hit this vein of form, I actually thought the same thing myself. But I think there is a danger of only looking at this purely aesthetically. Would we play more beautiful, fluid football if we had a better team player replace Aguero? Almost certainly we would. But if you look at it pragmatically, would we score more goals and win more games without Aguero? I don't think we would.

I was referring to Jesus for Brazil!
Completely agree with all of your points. There are much more tactically astute players out there than Sergio who could do his role better, but there is not many who have that goalscoring return.
Sergio always slows down attacks in my view is not as "fluid" as Pep wants his forwards to be.
Kane would be the absolute perfect mould for this team, presses like mad and has the intelligence to boot - I think Pep realises that.
Sane reminds me immensely of Ronaldo, he's an athlete and he has all the physical traits there to push himself to the next level. However, whoever comes in instead of Sergio is arguably the missing piece of the puzzle.

I just think Jesus has not even begun to get going yet. That's why we've not seen the tricks or skills, and that's why he's been pretty conservative in his attacking play.

His longest run of starts for us has been 6 games, at the beginning of the seasons and he scored 5 goals and looked great. After that it was all very much him and Sergio rotating until the injury.

When he really establishes himself, gets a bit more confident and is playing every week, alongside Aguero or instead of him, I think we'll see a different beast all together.

I’m excited for the return of Mendy as I think Jesus will be a huge beneficiary of his return. Jesus’ movement is beyond his years and he’s certainly only going to get better. My only concern as been his shooting this season, he seems a lot more hesitant and isn’t striking the ball as clean.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.