Serie A - the sick man of European football?

leighton said:
The Italian league is in the shit. No doubt about it Liam Brady was talking about Arsenal and there scouting network and at the moment there is no real stand out players in the Italian league and there younger players at the teams are over looked for the more senoir players at the clubs which doesnt help there progression into there first team when injuries occur. All the major clubs in Italy need fresh faces but they are happy to keep there older players and it shows in the European games that they are now not up to the standard anymore.

That's plain wrong, there are some absolutely fantastic players in Serie A.

Udinese are only behind Barca for me atm in terms of attacking play, shame they had such a rubbish start to the year.

The league is absolutely rammed with promising young stars, the playmaker primarily seems to be going through a bit of revival there right now. In fact I'd say it's only really quality wingers you'd struggle to find (Sanchez aside, and boy will he be in demand).

This year's Serie A has been the most interesting in years for me. The level of competition at the top is great, after such a disasterous few seasons for Lazio who would've thought they'd become such a force this time round?

blue_soundwave said:
leighton said:
The Italian league is in the shit. No doubt about it Liam Brady was talking about Arsenal and there scouting network and at the moment there is no real stand out players in the Italian league and there younger players at the teams are over looked for the more senoir players at the clubs which doesnt help there progression into there first team when injuries occur. All the major clubs in Italy need fresh faces but they are happy to keep there older players and it shows in the European games that they are now not up to the standard anymore.

Udinese are only behind Barca for me atm in terms of attacking play, shame they had such a rubbish start to the year.

The league is absolutely rammed with promising young stars, the playmaker primarily seems to be going through a bit of revival there right now. In fact I'd say it's only really quality wingers you'd struggle to find (Sanchez aside, and boy will he be in demand).

This year's Serie A has been the most interesting in years for me. The level of competition at the top is great, after such a disasterous few seasons for Lazio who would've thought they'd become such a force this time round?

I dont agree with that. There are good Youngster sure, Serie A had allways South American Connections and was good into that, but look at Germany. Bundesliga is really full of Youngster, avg then any place else.

If i remember Juventus under Marcelo Lippi with Zidane, i mean come one they never will be good as that time.

balkanno said:
blue_soundwave said:

I dont agree with that. There are good Youngster sure, Serie A had allways South American Connections and was good into that, but look at Germany. Bundesliga is really full of Youngster, avg then any place else.

If i remember Juventus under Marcelo Lippi with Zidane, i mean come one they never will be good as that time.

Thats were Arsenal have been looking at over the last few years and they are scouting the German leagues and France for there young players for there academy set up. Brady has been key to Arsenal at developing all the young talent that Wenger brings in and at the moment they dont rate the Italian league are there players are not up to the standard for them.

BillyShears said:
Do you think we'll see in the next couple of years AC, Roma, Juve, getting any stronger - or do you think that we'll see the likes of Lazio, Napoli, et al usurp them and create a new power base in Italian football...?

For me it's a league I've always had a love/hate relationship with. As a kid I didn't really watch it that much. I've always had a certain antipathy for Italian teams in Europe, but in the last three or four years have watched more of it because of the good young players out there.

Interesting question. Napoli and Udinese have been growing as teams for years, and although I don't think that they will instantly overtake the Milan clubs, Juve should be fearing for their future, as should Roma in the long term.

Mind you, I've got a bit of a soft spot for Roma since Montella is now their manager, and a player who I liked an awful lot in the past. He never got Vieri levels of worship, but I always rated him.

balkanno said:
blue_soundwave said:

Oh don't get me wrong, the Bundesliga is an absolute testament to young talent, just look at Dortmund and Mainz! But there is also plenty of talent on the Peninsula, just not a lot of it actually Italian...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.