Pie and a pint not a prawn sandwich in sight
It was a time when players fought for the badge not for the money
They were good men
Good honest family men
We stood on those terraces
Man and boy, hand in hand, you and me
We can do it again son
At Eastlands

Pity that clip is not on youtube, i have looked .

Can never forget his role in Scum as the hippy-type n' most eloquent 'Archer' haha

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-OmoaFjpo[/youtube]

black mamba said:
He used to live in my Bradford cobbled street back in the late fifties/early sixties , although he was around a couple of years older than me ..... most of the kids in the street were City fans back then , and Frank was no exception ...... our street would probably have once stood on the land where the East Car Park now stands at the Etihad , and David and his parents lived above a corner shop there.

And for a short while , before he moved on to Burnage , he also attended my primary school too (Queen St Primary , Bradford ) ..... as did Jack Duckworth (Bill Tarmey) , of Coronation Street fame.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&ved=0CCkQFjAAOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fpeople%2Fprofiles%2Fpassedfailed-an-education-in-the-life-of-david-threlfall-actor-775916.html&ei=M3SqUd7hJeOH0AXpiYH4Aw&usg=AFQjCNHhfoyq6pEflt-t2TpM9VKX53TnhQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 9VKX53TnhQ</a>

2u7bsk6.jpg

That's brilliant that.

Our kid was the spark on that final episode.

He sent me a piccy of himself relaxing in what was then Mancini's bench seat.

He said the guy who plays Frank is a top bloke and a proper blue.

Maintainin said:
Can never forget his role in Scum as the hippy-type n' most eloquent 'Archer' haha

Thats Mick Ford who played Archer in the film, David Threlfall played Archer in the original BBC Play for Today version. Not being pedantic or trying to pull you up, but I was like jesus, Threlfall changed a lot since his youth.

Used to get Ford mixed up with Steve Pacey who was in BBC special effects extravagansa Blakes 7 !

Shaggy said:
Maintainin said:

Thats Mick Ford who played Archer in the film, David Threlfall played Archer in the original BBC Play for Today version. Not being pedantic or trying to pull you up, but I was like jesus, Threlfall changed a lot since his youth.

Used to get Ford mixed up with Steve Pacey who was in BBC special effects extravagansa Blakes 7 !
Haha, nah ya not bein pedantic Shaggy it's my own fault as I posted it when rushin out the door before I realised I meant the 77 cut ;-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKTA7D7mgfI[/youtube]

A bit more on Threlfall:

======================================

Despite his recent success, however, Threlfall hasn’t forgotten his roots and although he lives in London these days, he never misses the chance to call in and watch his beloved Blues whenever he can. In fact, every time he drives into the City of Manchester Stadium a wave of nostalgia washes over him – largely because his family’s corner shop was knocked down to make way for the club’s car park. “I'm fairly happy about that!” he laughs. “If you’re going to lose a place like that in the name of progress then it’s best that it’s to your club.

As a young boy his family moved from Blackley to Burnage – a rundown part of Manchester now known as Gallagher country (after Noel and Liam, not Frank) – which is when his pilgrimages to City began. “My father wasn’t really that interested in football, but his dad was and it was my granddad that first took me to Maine Road,” he remembers. “This was around the time we had the likes of Tony Coleman and Mike Summerbee and as a club we were cooking.”

His first memory of the three-mile walk to Maine Road with his granddad, was coming out into light drizzle after the Blues had drawn 2-2 with Wolves in Division One, as was in the good old days. “I was confused because I thought it would have to be replayed,” he now admits. “I’d get a stitch just as we reached the ground on the walk from Burnage to Maine Road and it would take about 90 minutes to ease off. By then it was time to start the walk back again! In later years it’d be me dragging my poor old granddad to games until he just wasn’t up to the trek anymore.

“After that, I used to go with a mate from school. We’d stand some weeks and then go and sit on the coloured benches in the Platt Lane end another. I remember the Manchester derbies were incredible, probably because we never used to lose back then, even though United had the likes of George Best and Bobby Charlton playing.”

Keen to emulate his heroes, the young Threlfall - just like his granddad before him – played on the wing for The Blues’ boys’ team. City stalwart and former skipper Paul Power was even part of the same youth team. Unfortunately, admits Threlfall he now has very little contact with his former team mate. “It’s true,” he smiled. “He was in my team. I’ve not seen much of him since – he doesn’t write, he doesn’t phone…”

If things had been different, he might just have been able to carve out a career on the pitch instead of the stage. “Brighton and Hove Albion offered me apprentice terms,” says Threlfall wistfully. “But the manager at the time, Freddie Goodwin, left shortly after, my application mysteriously went missing and things just didn’t work out.” Instead he carried on playing at amateur level, represented Manchester and Lancashire and once even got the chance to play at Hampden Park.”

Fortunately his acting career took off in the late ‘70s and Threlfall went on to become the thespian equivalent of a journeyman footballer; rarely out of work but mainly playing lower league gigs. It was the success of Shameless, however, that has placed him firmly in the public eye. Now, with Channel 4 having recently signed a lengthy deal with the show’s creators and a new purpose-built permanent set in Wythenshawe unveiled a couple of months back, the show looks well and truly here to stay. Which means more time in Manchester for Threlfall and plenty more trips to see his boyhood idols.

“I’ll be getting along whenever I can,” he says grinning at the prospect. “A couple of years ago there was a list in the match day programme of 10 great City fans and there at number four was Frank Gallagher, which was fantastic. I’ve even presented the lottery draw on the pitch at half time. The club got in touch and asked and I just said ‘Will I? Of course I’d love to.’

But ask him for a recent highlight and Threlfall doesn’t have to think hard. “I was in a box with Andrew Flintoff and Mike Summerbee when we played Bolton last season. I was sitting next to Andrew when this City fan wanders by and says to his mate, ‘Fuckin’ Hell! It’s Freddy and Frank!’ That cracked me up.

Quick Questions:

Best moment
“I was about eight years old and City were playing Tottenham at Maine Road. Spurs were flying at the top but we turned in a magnificent performance and beat them 6-2.”

All-time hero?
“It would have to be Mike Summerbee, maybe because I played in the same position as he did, though perhaps a little less effectively!

Who does Frank Gallagher support?
“I don’t think he’s as interested in football as I am. I think he’d pontificate about things and maybe talk about changing the system and therefore segueing into the larger system of the way the community is and then the state of the country and then the world… you know how Frank is.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.