Shay Given: Manchester City can win the PL next season

grandsolo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/28/shay-given-manchester-city-title

Shay Given has acknowledged the increased levels of expectation at his former club, Manchester City, and the demand that Roberto Mancini's side mount a coherent title challenge in the coming season.

The veteran Republic of Ireland goalkeeper, who ended a two-year spell at Eastlands by signing for Aston Villa, has watched Mancini strengthen his squad this summer with, most notably, the eye-catching £38m arrival of Sergio Agüero from Atlético Madrid. The continued staggering investment by the owner, Sheikh Mansour, prompted Given to suggest it is "just a matter of time" before City are claiming both domestic and European honours on a regular basis.

But, while City's aim last season was to secure Champions League qualification, Given expects a title challenge will be the minimum requirement this time. "I think they can win it," the 35-year-old said, speaking at a Premier League Community festival in Hong Kong. "Last year they had to 'aim' to win the title as well and that's certainly the case now. They'll have to try and win it every year. But they'll do big things and rightly so.

"They've got fantastic owners who are very supportive in bringing in some of the best players in the world, so I think it's inevitable they'll do big things. Winning the Premier League and winning the European Cup – if not next year, then in the years to come. It's just a matter of time. When you have that level of support there's every chance you can do that."

Given's plight at the club last season, when he failed to make a Premier League appearance with Mancini having identified Joe Hart as his No1, was shared by a number of high-profile players recruited by the previous manager, Mark Hughes, on large wages. Emmanuel Adebayor, Craig Bellamy, Wayne Bridge, Roque Santa Cruz and Shaun Wright-Phillips were pushed to the fringes and have uncertain futures at the club. "All I can say is that the players who weren't playing were in a similar position to me and would have been frustrated," Given said. "We just want to play football, really. That's all."

He will have that chance with Villa, where he has signed a five-year contract and has already offered glimpses of his excellence. There was a fine save to deny Blackburn Rovers' Brett Emerton in the Barclays Asia Trophy semi-final on Wednesday and his form is likely to be tested more concertedly against Chelsea in Saturday's final at the Hong Kong stadium. Yet the player is merely eager to make up for a lost 12 months.

"Frustrating was the word but there wasn't much I could do about it last year," Given said. "The manager made a decision, you've got to respect that decision and take it on the chin and you have to move on. And for me it's about playing football. I moved to Man City to play football and I've done the same coming to Aston Villa: to play. You've got one career, one life, and I want to play as much as I can. I'm delighted to be here.

"I'm not getting any younger. I just turned 35 in April there and I really do feel that I'm at a stage in my career where I have to be playing regularly. That was my only thinking, you know. Man City is a great club and they're going to be a big club in world football, not just the Premier League, so it was a big decision to leave. But for me, on a personal level, it was the right choice to make."

I like Shay, he could have done a Cuducini and sat on the bench for the rest of his contract knowing he was good enough to play every week elsewhere but didn't.

I wish him luck next season, good bloke, great keeper.

Bilboblue said:
I like Shay, he could have done a Cuducini and sat on the bench for the rest of his contract knowing he was good enough to play every week elsewhere but didn't.

I wish him luck next season, good bloke, great keeper.

Quite agree.

Shay kept his dignity while at City. He didn't moan and seemed to get on well with Joe Hart.

I wish him well, except in the games he plays against us, of course and I think he will be a tremendous asset for Villa.

True professional shay is, could have slagged us off after he left but chose not to, also one of the best keepers over the last 15 years.

The only thing that will stop us is Mancini imo.

We have as good a squad as anybody and i think we have the best strikers by far. The thing is Mancini can't play defensive like he did at the Emirates as it is a joke with the quality we have and just a complete waste of money. I don't want to see boring, cautious football. Barcelona don't do it, the rags don't do it and even Spurs play nice attacking football.

TBH i am not a huge Mancini fan, but will give him the benefit of the doubt since we won a trophy and finished 3rd. However this season will show if he really has it like Mourinho, Red nose, Wenger, Villas Boas etc...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.