So what do we do now?

7th place - no chance IMO. If I'm not mistaken we need another 3 points to ensure avoiding relegation, shouldn't be a problem but we've all seen teams falling apart.

Unfortunately we lost the game (sorry tie) last week, if we had put in half the effort we did tonight we would be through.

Rightly or wrongly Hughes is going to stay I believe & we will just have to see what happens.
I don't think anyone can fault the effort and commitment tonight but the conundrum remains why Hughes cannot get this out of his players in other games.

thepole said:
Moebius said:
We build a squad up over the next few years to dominate english football.

Anyone who said it was going to be quick was lying, but the foundations are there. If we played like that tongiht every game, we'd be in the top 4 now 100%.

We spend big in the summer, we all know the owners want another big name in, guesses are anyone, and we strengthen the squad. We need another defender, a top quality striker who isnt injury prone, hopefully this game has boosted elano and robinho.

The big players aren't going to come without European football. Unless we pull out a miracle and grab 7th we are going to struggle to make major improvements. Then again, we don't need to make major improvements, the team we have is good enough to finish top 5, whether the manager is good enough to take us there is another matter...

This Europe thing is really overplayed by the media. I imagine a Uefa Cup spot is niether here nor there for these players and with next season being a world cup year, some of them would probably happy to forgo second tier European competitions for a season.

Pam said:
thepole said:
Moebius said:
We build a squad up over the next few years to dominate english football.

Anyone who said it was going to be quick was lying, but the foundations are there. If we played like that tongiht every game, we'd be in the top 4 now 100%.

We spend big in the summer, we all know the owners want another big name in, guesses are anyone, and we strengthen the squad. We need another defender, a top quality striker who isnt injury prone, hopefully this game has boosted elano and robinho.

The big players aren't going to come without European football. Unless we pull out a miracle and grab 7th we are going to struggle to make major improvements. Then again, we don't need to make major improvements, the team we have is good enough to finish top 5, whether the manager is good enough to take us there is another matter...

This Europe thing is really overplayed by the media. I imagine a Uefa Cup spot is niether here nor there for these players and with next season being a world cup year, some of them would probably happy to forgo second tier European competitions for a season.

Its being overplayed by the media is part of the problem. A lot of players care about how they are perceived, and the last thing they want is for people to think pf them as a money grabber, and anyone that gives up European football to come to us will instantly be protrayed as exactly that, regardless of the size of the pay cheque.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.