Songs We’ve Plagiarised Into Chants

H-A-P-P-Y = City til I die ( sure we were first to start it at Huddersfield in 1997 )
City till I die was sung even earlier. It was sung at Swindon away on 2nd November 1996 a 2-0 defeat in the 2nd tier in the pouring rain in an open end and rather appropriately Coppell's last match as manager.

One of the older songs City fans adapted was Bless ‘em All. Sung in mid 1950s. I posted the lyrics sung by fans in the 50s in my book Manchester The Greatest City in the 1990s (photo of them here).

Much further back there’s the Who Said City Couldn’t Play chant which was based on the 1920s song ‘what a rotten song, what a rotten singer too’. We’ve film of fans singing that in 1934.

Certain clubs claim to have invented chanting but they didn’t. I’m not saying City did but we’ve got adapted popular songs being sung at City games going back decades. Definitely as far back as the early 30s but possibly going back even further. There are songs with words referencing Meredith from early 1900s which may well have been adapted popular songs of the day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.