Spurs’ new stadium

If tickets haven't been sold, then they haven't entered into a contract with you. Much as I might like to take people to court for my business where people have let me down, without a contract, even verbal, the phrase "without a leg to stand on" springs to mind.
The fact that the fixtures were announced in June and the game since scheduled to a specific date and time for TV purposes is evidence that Spurs were set to host a game on that date and time. They will have failed to ensure the game went ahead as scheduled. The PL should fine them and from that pool, money that fans have spent to prepare for the game should be reimbursed.

The fact that the fixtures were announced in June and the game since scheduled to a specific date and time for TV purposes is evidence that Spurs were set to host a game on that date and time. They will have failed to ensure the game went ahead as scheduled. The PL should fine them and from that pool, money that fans have spent to prepare for the game should be reimbursed.

Morally perhaps. Legally no. Every single ticket states explicitly that they have the right to change the date and time for any reason whatsoever. Now, as for the second bit, I don't remotely disagree that it would be the decent thing. It's just that they don't have to. Same as UEFA didn't bother.

There’s an awful lot of conjecture and misinformation about this stadium issue circulating on this thread, of which the above is a typical example.

I know that Spurs is not a popular club among City fans (to put it mildly!) and I dare say that the same misinformation would be circulating on Spurs forums if the shoe was on the other foot. But I hope you don’t mind if I offer the view from the other side which, naturally enough (having followed this project in every detail for 10 years and having access to those who are closely involved in it), is rather more informed about the true circumstances.

Until the beginning of this week, the stadium was fully on course to open on September 15th. I have seen comments about how unfinished the stadium still looks externally. But the only major job that remains to be done is the installation of a perforated aluminium cladding. In the bowl, most seats are installed and the pitch area requires only the top layer of turf. Both jobs could comfortably be completed within a week. The roof is all but finished. And work on access areas around the stadium is well advanced. There quite a lot to do internally but fit out can progress at a rapid pace. All in all, even if there would still be a fair bit to complete after September 15th, everyone at Spurs was fully confident that the stadium would open as planned.

But testing and commissioning at the weekend revealed an issue with circuitry specifically relating to fire alarms. There are apparently some 10,000 circuits in the stadium and now, on the say so of the BCO, each of them has to be checked. That is as things stand. If you can be bothered to read it, I’ve posted below what I have been told by a senior project manager who is highly experienced in the field of major construction projects. It well illustrates the difficulties that routinely blight construction projects and that Spurs now face:

To be fair Jim, I was defending your right to defend Spurs on this issue on this very thread yesterday and your posts do make me dislike Spurs that little bit less ;)

I do feel, however, that with all the rumours that have been circulating for a while about the stadium not being ready on time and, lo and behold, the announcement this week that it will indeed not be ready on time adds weight to those of us who suspected Spurs knew about any impending delays much earlier than announced. It seems a bit of a stretch to think Levy turned up for work on Monday morning and was met with this problem that you’ve explained above.

I’d also add that some Spurs fans must be annoyed too. By the sounds of it, it could be months before this is sorted. It’ll be a cracking stadium when it’s finally opened though in 2024!

Morally perhaps. Legally no. Every single ticket states explicitly that they have the right to change the date and time for any reason whatsoever. Now, as for the second bit, I don't remotely disagree that it would be the decent thing. It's just that they don't have to. Same as UEFA didn't bother.
I don't think that a club can change the date and the time. They can request a change, (as can the police) but ultimately the PL or the FL / FA are the ones that decree if a game date / time can be changed.
In this case, the PL announced the original date at the fixtures issue and then confirmed the exact date and time to suit TV scheduling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.