The Harry Kane Team 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at when they do deals it's always very late which ties in. It's a house of cards though and Walker could be the one that starts it falling down. Rose was one that was mentioned recently but his injury skuppered it. Only a rumour.

The likes of Kane Erickson and Lee may well be happy earning £100k despite knowing they aren't likely to win anything but those with bigger ambitions and no ties like Kane will realise that they can earn more and have a better chance of winning things elsewhere. Talking Lloris Alderwierld and Ali.

Pivotal season for them for which I don't think Wembley will help them. Don't like them but they have been a great team over the last two seasons. But with Levys reluctance to loosen the strings, Wembley and Walker being a high profile exit I think they are in a delicate position.

Expect Barkley to end up there as well by the end of the window.
Yeah the press said Rose was looking for a move and that we were interested until the injury when we signed Walker - part of the Spurs brief about the press I think.

Rose could go to United next summer, seems like he'd fit Mourinho well and they need a left back.

Alderweireld has the contract situation, Eriksen surely won't live forever on the £50k a week they're giving him.

I think when it becomes a crisis is when a few players get old and the subs leave as well.

Dembele is the wrong side of 30 now, so is Vertonghen, Wimmer wants to leave for game time, Son or Lamela will probably be unhappy with being bench players eventually, and before you know it half the team wants out.

I do think Barkley will do well for them if he goes there though, just seems like the kind of player Pochettino can coach into the player he was supposed to be when he came through.

I really hope Everton do a number on them with the fee

If it happens it will be late and probably because Everton want to sell. Wouldn't expect anything above £30m which in the market is decent.

Lemar was there a month ago to talk but he seems to one of many and none signed. Not the sign of a club on the up really if most of their work is done late in the window. Feeding of the scraps if you like.

Kind of admire what they have achieve regardless of being trophyless over the last few years.

Then spurs are fucked, i'd be livid as a spurs fan. That transfer policy with the current climate at the top is madness, now is the time to push hard.

You can not judge Spurs by City's standards. They simply do not have the money. The issue for them is who, of the players they could attract, would improve their squad? Probably only Barkley for Sissoko. In addition, their policy of each year at least one young player making it through to the first team squad and playing regularly (Winks last year) means that they will give young players a chance rather than buy bodies to fill out their squad.

As for top 4? Last year, they finished 10 points clear of Liverpool, 11 clear of Arsenal and an astonishing 17 points clear of United. Despite the media telling us how fucking great Liverpool and United are and how those two will be battling it out for the title with City and Chelsea, I doubt Pep is underestimating Spurs as title contenders.

Looking at the Spurs boards they seem remarkably calm. In comparison RAWK is in meltdown because they have not succeeded in spending £70m on Keita and £60m on VVD.

Last edited:
You can not judge Spurs by City's standards. They simply do not have the money. The issue for them is who, of the players they could attract, would improve their squad? Probably only Barkley for Sissoko. In addition, their policy of each year at least one young player making it through to the first team squad and playing regularly (Winks last year) means that they will give young players a chance rather than buy bodies to fill out their squad.

As for top 4? Last year, they finished 10 points clear of Liverpool, 11 clear of Arsenal and an astonishing 17 points clear of United. Despite the media telling us how fucking great Liverpool and United are and how those two will be battling it out for the title with City and Chelsea, I doubt Pep is underestimating Spurs as title contenders.

Looking at the Spurs boards they seem remarkably calm. In comparison RAWK is in meltdown because they have not succeeded in spending £70m on Keita and £60m on VVD.

I am not judging them by what any other club may do, i think it accepted even the top clubs have wildly varying business models so arbitrarily attach one to another would be rather silly. I just think Spurs owner could invest and make big inroads to the very top with now being a prime time to do so, he is rich enough. Keeping that rigid model and applying it to the ever changing dynamics of the football transfer windows is outright stupid to my mind.

To describe Spurs' business model as outright stupid is an extreme view. Levy has taken Spurs from lower to mid table strugglers with outdated facilities to a modern top tier football team. Most would say he has done very well and that Spurs are an example to other clubs. (Admittedly Levy followed Arsenal and Wenger/Dein's example).

As for the wage structure costing Spurs players. He is not worried. That is football. Alli and Kane are staying this year and if they leave next year it will be for world record fees. Spurs will recover. Levy believes in his business model which has served him well all these years. He knows that there are other Bales, Modrics, Allis, and Kanes. He has a longer view than most football fans. It will be a couple of years before Spurs overtake Liverpool's revenues and then he'll set his sights on overtaking Arsenal. Perhaps then he will allow the wild spending that you advocate.

Last edited:
No one should criticise the Spurs apparent business model however all their rivals have different strategies that Spurs refuse to replicate. I think Spurs will struggle to make top 4 for a number of reasons. IMO City, Scum and Chelsea, in that order, will nail the top 3 spaces leaving Spurs to compete with dippers 1 and Arsenal and unfortunately Dippers 1 are probably best equipped to nick 4th. Playing at Wembley isn't going to help either.

I am not judging them by what any other club may do, i think it accepted even the top clubs have wildly varying business models so arbitrarily attach one to another would be rather silly. I just think Spurs owner could invest and make big inroads to the very top with now being a prime time to do so, he is rich enough. Keeping that rigid model and applying it to the ever changing dynamics of the football transfer windows is outright stupid to my mind.

Agreed.

The revenue that Premier League clubs receive from the current TV deals means that Spurs should have plenty of money to improve the contracts of the current squad AND attract the top talent needed to push on for a genuine title challenge.

It's like housing inflation. Get on the ladder or you'll be buggered in a few years.

If they don't spend now it'll be double next year.

Having said that Levy is a very foreceful and clever bastard.

You would not want to be playing him at poker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.