Spurs (A) - Fri 26th Jan, 20:00 | FA Cup | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember seeing Helen or the bell back in the 60s,also the scoreboard end was all standing open end.

I can confirm that she was there by the late sixties (spring 68 onward). And it was always the scoreboard, always near the front or right at the front. My first matches were just before the end was redeveloped and covered. And I seem to remember that some bloke went round at half-time hanging up the half-time scores from pegs, on square pieces of tin. As was commonly the case at other grounds, I should add.
I never once stood on the scoreboard end. I used to look across at it from the Kippax. You could always tell that a match was boring the pants off everyone when we'd break into “Helen, Helen, ring your bell etc.”

I can confirm that she was there by the late sixties (spring 68 onward). And it was always the scoreboard, always near the front or right at the front. My first matches were just before the end was redeveloped and covered. And I seem to remember that some bloke went round at half-time hanging up the half-time scores from pegs, on square pieces of tin. As was commonly the case at other grounds, I should add.
I never once stood on the scoreboard end. I used to look across at it from the Kippax. You could always tell that a match was boring the pants off everyone when we'd break into “Helen, Helen, ring your bell etc.”
Been going since 62 I also remember bloke going up the steps into his scoreboard and putting the HT scores up,also when I went to the reserve games he would put the latest score up from the first team game away,every 15 minutes he would come out of the Maine stand into the scoreboard end for the latest score.We would all cheer if it was good news,don't forget in those days no local radio or internet.

I don't remember seeing Helen or the bell back in the 60s,also the scoreboard end was all standing open end.
My first match was towards the end of the 1962-63 season and I certainly remember Helen and her bell from 1963-64 onwards. We called her ‘Mad Nelly’, in an affectionate way of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.