Spurs fans to have minute's applause at Saturday's game

Falastur

Was browsing twitter briefly and happened to see this tweet:

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/522847128259809280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/stat ... 8259809280</a>

I just thought that after the Stiliyan Petrov debacle a couple of seasons back it might help to make people aware that the Spurs fans seem to be intending to hold a minute's applause on the 24th minute for a fan who passed away in the last few days. I've seen in the Cellar there is talk of us having our own minute's applause for a City fan - hopefully the two will complement each other.

Sensitive subject so I've got to word this carefully.

We could probably find a reason to have a minutes applause for the whole 90, I don't want us to become like the scousers, a bit of a grief contest. A minutes applause for both before kick off is fine, but personally I go to the game to take my mind off all thats wrong with the world.

I'm sick of minutes of applause.

What happened to a minutes silence before the game?
Sad to hear about the guy who died. But people die every day, we can't do a minutes applause for all of them.

Manchester33 said:
I'm sick of minutes of applause.

What happened to a minutes silence before the game?
Sad to hear about the guy who died. But people die every day, we can't do a minutes applause for all of them.

They are always done in the wrong minute, like villa fans applauding in he 20th minute as Petrov played in number 19.

Incredibly sad time for friends and families when a loved one passes away but it's all getting a little bit ridiculous when sporting events are almost hijacked on a weekly basis to commemorate the fact.

The thought of a football crown standing to applaud the life of someone they never met or knew and let's be honest here, don't really care about is ridiculous.

I expect to get lambasted for holding that view but we are becoming a nation of professional mourners because it's become almost fashionable.

blueinsa said:
Incredibly sad time for friends and families when a loved one passes away but it's all getting a little bit ridiculous when sporting events are almost hijacked on a weekly basis to commemorate the fact.

The thought of a football crown standing to applaud the life of someone they never met or knew and let's be honest here, don't really care about is ridiculous.

I expect to get lambasted for holding that view but we are becoming a nation of professional mourners because it's become almost fashionable.

No lambasting from me. In an ideal world every single individual who passes away deserves such a tribute but in reality the proliferation of these silences/applauses only cheapens the act.

Getting to the stage now where I often see a black armband in a game not involving City and have to ask what or who it is for.

blueinsa said:

The show of 'grief' is in inverse proportion to how well the person was known!

If people want to celebrate a person's life part way through a football match, away from their home ground, it's their choice, but it has nothing to do with me!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.